*** Character Sculpting Contest Winner Announcement ***

We'd like to extend a huge THANK YOU to everyone who shared their artwork for our 2019 Character Sculpting Contest. Once again, our community of artists has impressed us with their depth of talent and the variety of mediums used. But most of all, we were blown away by the boundless imagination that went into creating the hundreds of original characters on display.

As always, picking a 1st place winner was tough, but we are thrilled to announce that the contest Grand Prize goes to Tomas McAdam for his action-packed entry: Rob "Rash" Reeker and Harley (the hover-bike)

Although Tomas has only been sculpting seriously for 3 years, we were all completely captivated by the dynamic energy and the rich storytelling he brought to this piece, which was inspired by a fictional world Tomas is building and hopes to one day bring to life in comic books and more.

We were also excited by the mix of materials Tomas incorporated, proving that the term "sculpture" doesn't have to be limited to clay. "The rider is made from Monster Clay, painted with acrylics," writes Tomas. "The bike is made from various empty plastic bottles and plastic scrap. The spiked baseball bat is made from wood and metal. Everything else is a mixture of plastic, fabric, metal and epoxy putty."

Bravo from all of us at Stan Winston School, Tomas! Though you're relatively new to character sculpting, it's clear that you've found your calling, and we're all looking forward to seeing more of the fictional world of Rob "Rash" Reeker in the future. We hope you enjoy the Grand Prize package below, sponsored by our friends at The Monster Makers!

GRAND PRIZE PACKAGE:  

• From Monster Makers:
    • The complete H2.0 Armature Family Line:
      • ED H2.0 Premium Full Armature
      • Alanna H2.0 Premium Full Armature
      • Half Ed H2.0 Deluxe Male Half Head Armature
      • Pinhead Deluxe Mask And Display Stand
    • A mask sculpting kit consisting of:
      • 20lbs. of Medium Monster Clay
      • 1 Basic Sculpting Tool Set
      • 1 Texture Stamp Set
      • 4 Piece Basic Brush Set
      • 4oz. Bottle of Isopropyl Myristate
      • 1 Serrated Clay Scraper
      • Virtual Copy of the Monster Makers Mask Handbook
  • From The Stan Winston School:
    • 1-Year Unlimited Subscription to Stan Winston School - $359.94 value!
    • Artist Spotlight on the Stan Winston School Blog - PRICELESS
    • Stan Winston School T-Shirt

THE RUNNERS UP

2ND PLACE: The Moon Keeper by Olivier Villoingt

• From Monster Makers:
    •  20lb. case of Monster Clay Medium
  • From Stan Winston School:
    • 6-Month Unlimited Subscription to Stan Winston School - $179.97 value!

3RD PLACE: Warmonger by Dan Chudzinski

• From Monster Makers:
    • ED or Alanna H2.0 Premium Full Armature (you choose)
    • 6-Month Unlimited Subscription to Stan Winston School - $179.97 value!

4TH PLACE: Hana Kamikiri by David Cancellario D'Alena

• From Monster Makers:
    • Half Ed H2.0 Deluxe Male Half Head Armature
    • 3-Month Unlimited Subscription to Stan Winston School - $119.98 value!

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Forest Creature by Barthe Florian

Metacomet Bust by Ashley Bosworth

Zombie Bust by Victor Makov 

Ganesh by Helen Grace (Gratia) Arguelles 

Gonzo the 1930's carny vampire clown and his agoraphobic conjoined brother Stanley by Jason Eldon

Gyspy Genie polymer clay by Carla Goncalves

- Team SWSCA
Post edited by Chris Ellerby on

Comments

• Thanks for the honourable mention, it was a great contest! Congratulations to the winners!
  • Awesome!!!!!
  • Omg Tom !! I'm so excited for you bro. Well deserved you legend.
  • Tomas McTomas Mc
    edited June 2019
    Holy crap! Speechless...

I didn’t expect this at all, a friend just informed me and I didn't believe him! Thank you so much. The level of work in the other entries is insane, and congrats to the rest of the winners. I’m honoured, truly. 
    Post edited by Tomas Mc on
  • Congratulations to the winners!! All your characters are awesome!! Thanks to the Stan Winston School for the honourable mention, it was great to see so many amazing character designs here! Can't wait to see what's next!
  • Congratulations winners!!!  Amazing work!
  • Congratulations Tomas and thanks for the honorable mention Stan Winston School!! 🤓
  • Congratulations to all, so much talent here!
  • Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to all the winners!
    Those are some really good prizes!
  • Wooo hooo! 
    Congratulations to the winners!!
    I'm so happy for all of you. 
    I didn't think to deserve it, so many amazing sculptors out there.
    I will do even better next time
    Thank you so much
  • Congratulations! :) 
  • Truly honored, thank you so much to the jury, and congrats to the winners!  :)
  • It is an honor to be selected! Congratulations to Tomas, Oliver, and David for their well-deserved winning entries. Thank you to everyone who helped to make this a truly memorable competition! 
  • Awesome job Tomas! When I first saw your work I knew it would be in the top, lot of character and story in your sculpt, awesome presentation, congratulations! And congrats to everyone as well, I saw a lot of great work from everyone, you have inspired me to learn and improve, thank you all!
  • Amazing work all around! Congrats to the winners.
  • Thanks a lot everyone! Many many amazing sculptures and characters. 
  • Congratulations to all,amazing 😃