Sculpted with MonsterClay medium
Size : 7.8 x 4.7 in
"Some fates are more cruel than others.
Mabel, a lively young witch eager to marry her beloved at last, tried to cast a spell that would enable her to transform into a bird and meet her love faster. Unfortunately, in her haste, something went wrong and the spell failed, leaving her body half-transformed, twisted. Her mind, tormented. Her memory... erased. All except the face of her love, and the hope of seeing him again one day to finally seal their oath.
Driven by her instincts, her heart, and by that look, that face that even magic can't seem to erase, she wanders through this dark forest, forever unknown, in search of the silent, secret grove where they were meant to meet to celebrate their union... 95 years ago.
Some fates are more cruel than others..."
Inspired by the Skeksis from the Dark Crystal I call him Ormanghast.
How to Enter the Contest:
We'll consider creatures of all shapes and sizes: Sculptures, Puppets, Makeups, etc. The only requirement is that the submission is primarily your own creation.
Have you created multiple creatures? Not a problem! You can submit as many as 3 entries to the contest, each as their own post. So share your creations, and you could win the Grand Prize!
If the subject of your entry is based on a character or concept from another artist, please credit the original artist in your post.
Your entries may also be featured on our social media, with appropriate credit, during the contest period.
Big thanks to our friends over at Monster Makers who have generously sponsored this contest with some of their amazing products!
Grand Prize Pack: Over $1,300 Value!
- From Monster Makers - Approx $1,000 Value!
- 1 Ed Head 2.0 Armature
- 1 Alanna Head 2.0 Armature
- 1 Half ED 2.0 Armature
- 1 Pinhead Display Form
- 1 40 lb. Case of new Monster Clay Green
- 1 Super Deluxe Sculpting Tool Kit
- 1 24 lb. Variety Pack Carton of Cosclay:
- (Including Cosclay Sculpt, Cosclay Doll, and Cosclay Elements)
- 1 variety Pack of Cosclay Liquids:
- (Including C1 Separator, C2 Adhesive, C3 Sealer High Gloss, Stretch Effects, Liquid Cosclay, and Firm FX)
- From Stan Winston School
- 1-Year Unlimited Subscription to Stan Winston School - $359.94 value!
- Artist Spotlight on the Stan Winston School Blog - PRICELESS
1. CONTEST ENTRY DATES: Contest start date and time, and end date and time are as outlined in the SWSCA Website(s) described below (“Contest Entry Period”).
3. CONTEST PRIZE: As indicated in contest sign up, as Sponsor may designate.
4. CONTEST ENTRY: All submissions can be based on either an existing work or an original design, as long as the creation is primarily the work of the contest entrant, and received by the date and time outlined on the Website(s). For purposes of these Official Rules, “receipt” of Entry occurs when Sponsor’s servers record the Entry information resulting from contestants’ entry being posted in the SWSCA CREATURE MAKING CONTEST forum category. Any automated computer receipt (such as one confirming delivery of email) does not constitute proof of actual receipt by Sponsor for purposes of these Official Rules. By entering this contest, you grant SWSCA the irrevocable right to share your submission photos and/or videos on our website, email, and social media channels, copyright is retained by original author. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. Odds of winning depend upon number of entries received.
5. WINNER SELECTION: Within seven days from the end of the Contest Entry Period your submission will be reviewed by the team here at the Stan Winston School of Character Arts and judged based on quality of work. Once the contest has ended, our judges will review all submissions, and the winner will be announced.
6. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winner(s) will be notified by email, and, if Sponsor so chooses, will be listed on a Website blog posting and Facebook wall. Winner(s) will be required to provide mailing address which will be used to fulfill any physical prize.
7. MODIFICATION OF RULES: Sponsor reserves the right to, at its discretion, reschedule the Contest, entry and/or end dates, modify the entry procedures, or cancel the Contest. Prize(s) are not redeemable for cash.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, stolen, altered, garbled, incorrect, incomplete or delayed Entries, all of which will be void. Sponsor is also not responsible for problems related to technical malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer hardware or software failures, phone lines, failure of any Entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems, traffic, congestion on the internet or the Website, or for any other technical problems including telecommunication, miscommunication or failure, and failed, lost, delayed, incomplete, garbled, or misdirected communications which may limit a contestant’s ability to participate in this Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any other errors or malfunctions of any kind, whether network, printing, typographical, human or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or malfunctions which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Entries, the announcement of the prize or in any Contest-related materials. Mass entries generated by a script, macro or use of automated devices will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest in the event it becomes infected by a computer virus or is otherwise technically impaired, and to cancel or suspend the Contest in its entirety should tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or other causes corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play of the Contest and, if terminated, at Sponsor’s discretion, determine the Winner using all non-suspect, eligible entries received up to time of cancellation using the judging procedure outlined above. In the event of a dispute regarding entries received from multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account at the time of Entry will be deemed to be the contestant and must comply with these Official Rules. Authorized subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the email address by the Internet Service Provider (ISP), online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual (and void his/her Entries) it finds to be tampering with the Entry process or the operation of this Contest or website, intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other contestant, Sponsor, or any of its representatives or to otherwise be acting in violation of these Official Rules.
9. MISCELLANEOUS CONDITIONS: Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to permanently disqualify any person it believes has intentionally violated these Official Rules. Contest subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited by law.
10. ARBITRATION AND CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited by law, as a condition of participating in this Contest, Contestant agrees that (1) any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action lawsuit, and exclusively by final and binding arbitration under the rules of the American Arbitration Association and held in Los Angeles, California; (2) the Federal Arbitration Act shall govern the interpretation, enforcement and all proceedings at such arbitration; and (3) judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. Under no circumstances will contestant be permitted to obtain awards for, and contestant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than contestant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with entering this Contest), and contestant (or, if an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of contestants and Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of California.
I'm a cosplayer for more than 10 years and always loved Guillermo Del Toro's work, the Faun was a "Cosplan" for a really really long time, and recently i felt like i had enough skills gathered through the years to build this with very very limited resources, hope you like the process
(A LOT OF PICTURES)
1- The HeadI Think the head is the most Important part of the entire suit, because is what's "sell" the character do i decided to make a facecast and sculpt to make sure the face will fit in my own. also build a "Skull" with foam to sculpt on that and the horns also with foam. the face was Cast in liquid latex and attatched to the skull.
2- The Torso
The torso was build with a combination of Spandex, Foam, 3D paint and Liquid latex, i have to redesign several times to make sure that the proportions was okay
3- The HandsThe hands are a little tricky, because the format and the movement, so i decided to build the back on foam and the palm with latex
4-The LegsThe legs definitely was the most dificult part to figure out, the thinking of "oh... how i'm gonna do that.....?"... i studied A LOT of ways to do that cause i didn't want to do like the original shooting of the movie, cause Doug Jones's legs are visible... so i decided to do the way around, build fake Thighs and use my own shins, so my legs will be a little more hidden.
As the rest of the suit, this one was made with foam and latex.
5- The Final CostumeIt was a long way until here but i am very proud of what i did, i still had to do a nice photoshoot in locations, but i hope you guys like the way everything turned out!
And as a little extra... I'm so happy that Guillermo Del Toro itself noticed me
The head is sculpted by zbrush and casting in silicone with a 3d print mold.
The palms are sculpt by NSP medium. all the others are sculpt by water base clay.
The Head/Body/Hand/Leg parts are casting by silicone. Those muscle around the mouth are made by platselgel 00 in free hand.