Options

What's On Your Workbench? (Spring 2023)

We love seeing current projects from our community members.  Sharing your work on our forums not only gets your work seen by a large audience but also motivates and inspires other artists.  We may even feature some of your projects on our social media!

You can either share images and videos below as comments on this discussion or post your own discussion with your work.  So don't be shy, show us what you've got!

What's On Your Workbench?

Comments

• Options
    We just finished our tour of The Horse and His Boy. 41 shows in 38 days was intense to say the least. I have a lot of repairs and improvements ahead of me before we head back out this summer.

In the mean time, we have a student production coming up a the end of the month, Pilgrim's Progress. I've been teaching our students a lot about foam fabrication and some basic mechanical stuff too. This is our prototype of the Giant Despair, currently all Styrofoam, plastic bags, twine, various hinges and other scrap metals and EVA. We're starting the final now.

Also working on parts for a demon character Apollyon:

And some 3d modeling for props. The Key of Promise:
  • Options
    So you have some spare time then? :)
  • Options
    Awesome work, and congrats on wrapping the tour!

/Chris
  • Options
    Key word. . . some  :D  
    Thanks Chris
  • Options

What CAD program are you using for this key?
  • Options
    Still working on my Will Turner POTC5 reunion scene cosplay. This is my longest continuous project so far. I have others that were shelved but this one has been ongoing for nearly a year. I still have aging to do on the costume but all props and costume elements are FINALLY complete. I am currently working on facial cosmetic effects, reshaping my ear, eyebrows, etc. and scouring the coast for the perfect photo shoot location. Here is the costume (before weathering/aging) and a rather poor cellphone photo of ear and brow work. Nasal inserts not used in this pic. Oh, yes, pic includes my anti aging effects work as well. Orlando was 40 at the time of this scene. I am 51. I will post the full build process in a single post when complete. Second pic (Orlando) added for comparison.

• Options
    I have been working on restoring the house from "The Goonies" and decided that the new owner should have a screen accurate replica of one eyed Willy's map. This was completely hand drawn with calligraphy dip pens and artificially aged with a ton of dry brushing, graphite dust, permablood, and love!  
  • Options
    Still working on my Will Turner POTC5 reunion scene cosplay. This is my longest continuous project so far. I have others that were shelved but this one has been ongoing for nearly a year. I still have aging to do on the costume but all props and costume elements are FINALLY complete. I am currently working on facial cosmetic effects, reshaping my ear, eyebrows, etc. and scouring the coast for the perfect photo shoot location. Here is the costume (before weathering/aging) and a rather poor cellphone photo of ear and brow work. Nasal inserts not used in this pic. Oh, yes, pic includes my anti aging effects work as well. Orlando was 40 at the time of this scene. I am 51. I will post the full build process in a single post when complete. Second pic (Orlando) added for comparison.

You should look into the area around cannon Beach located in Ecola State Park (Oregon) as it is the most "pirate esque" backdrop for some great photo shoots! 
  • Options
    You should look into the area around cannon Beach located in Ecola State Park (Oregon) as it is the most "pirate esque" backdrop for some great photo shoots! 
    Advice accepted. I needed an excuse for another road trip. I went south last but not all the way to Gold Beach. I remember several spots near Cannon that remind me of the scene I want. Now, I wait out this ridiculous weather.

• Options
    ImLikeSid said:
    I have been working on restoring the house from "The Goonies" and decided that the new owner should have a screen accurate replica of one eyed Willy's map. This was completely hand drawn with calligraphy dip pens and artificially aged with a ton of dry brushing, graphite dust, permablood, and love!  
    That map is incredible. Excellent work.
  • Options
    Been working on building a Velociraptor animatronic based on the ones featured in The Lost World. A college near me has a makers festival they do every November, I won last year with this project. I'm hoping to have most of the body built soon. Still been working on the mechanics but I'm getting there. (The picture I included is a photo of my project at the festival after 27 days. Since I was tight on time I didn't have the pneumatics I was planning on using I grabbed some D-rings, some springs, and a vest I used for airsoft and controlled it as well as I could. Since then I've created a better design for a neck and decided to repurpose the tentacle-like mechanism I made and use it as a tail.)
  • Options

What CAD program are you using for this key?
    Sorry for the delayed response. It was modeled in Autodesk Fusion 360.