Barbossa Cosplay

I wanted to share my first attempt ever at sculpting and applying prosthetics.  I sculpted his nose from some black and white reference photos of Geoffrey Rush's lifecast.  I made it with gelatin nose along with a ProsAide transfer scar.  I bit the bullet and ordered some Telesis 8F for the nose.  It held really well throughout the day, although I did have to push on it in places every so often.   I used alcohol-activated makeup (another first).  I made a dozen noses and scars and practiced every day for a week before the convention.  The nose was very difficult to put on by myself with the flashing attached so after prepping it and right before application, I gently pulled it off.  It was much easier after that.  The PT scar was a piece of cake… fun to make and easy to apply, but a bear to remove.  I had a very red nose and cheek by the end of the practice week. 

The makeup was a nightmare.  I am new to makeup in general and have been using cream to powder for anything I added to my cosplays.  Working with the alcohol paint required patience and a lot of experimentation in layering.  It took all week to figure it out to the point of being presentable.  Anyway, I was able to get it to look acceptable… at least from a distance.  I do want to acknowledge both Rob Burman’s Prosthetic Makeup Basics - Gelatin Facial Appliances and Christien Tinsley’s How to Make Prosthetic Transfers - Makeup Effects Innovation tutorials.  I followed them to the letter and it made my project so much easier.  I could not have done this without them.  Thank you Stan Winston School!  I am working on a famous wizard’s nose now.  This is so much fun!

Cheers!

Comments

• Wow, for being new to makeup you did a really fantastic job!  The likeness is really good.

Impressive all around!

/Chris
  • This is absolutely amazing! I love not only the attention to detail on the costume but the facial appliances and make up work too! Fantastic!
  • I have a special love for this kind of work. My cosplay goal is to match not only the character but the actor playing that character and if possible in a well known scene, meme, or actual movie poster. I call them "Cosplay Scene Stealers". The ultimate compliment is having someone look at your work and claim that it is not you but is in fact the original actor, thus calling you out for lying. I can tell you without reserve, your photos above could easily fool his greatest fans. It looks like him, in make-up doing promotional shots. A-plus work, thank you for sharing. And now I think I might use half of the above for my profile text so I don't rewrite it every time I introduce myself.