Week Three Homework Gallery and Class Recordings

Comments

• Excellent! Looks really good, Peter. Looking forward to the foaming.
  • Here is my body on the mannequin. Finished the neck, which I did out of foam and it has plenty of movement — enough for the story we are doing anyway. A bit Michael Keaton Batman-ish, but not bad. Going to skin and texture him tomorrow.
  • Tom StewartTom Stewart ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Nice job James! It is a bit Michael Keaton Batman-ish but I thought Keaton was one of the best Batman; so if I were you I wouldn't worry :-)  
    I came back to hangout and stayed a bit but no one came back on, so I called it a night for hangout. Last night sucked for me- I had the sewing machine seize and I ended up taking apart the whole thing- Took me 2 hours to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Finally fixed the machine but it was time I can't spare right now :-) I'm a little behind but hope to play catch up tonight. 
    On a good note- my Rhino eyes came in from the Taxidermist.

• Peter BondPeter Bond ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    James, you could use really loose spandex for the neck and cover it with latex when it's flat. or 1/8 foam would be cool too if you folded it under a bit, but only glue in spots so it moves still
  • Here's the eyes
  • Finally done Spandex! Will still need to add Spandex to the jaw and Neck but not there yet. I also got something in the mail- took so long to come in but will be handy Friday for the carving extravaganza! Got everything I had scheduled and caught up from yesterday- time to call it a night. 
  • I thought about just using spandex, but that won't hold up under a collar and necktie. This has enough movement that I can turn a bit and tilt my head, which is just about what I need.
  • That's a lot of spandex, Tom. Don't know if you noticed.
  • Looks real good Tom. Your effort is showing.
  • It was good to finally see it come together. I'm going to try it on tonight and will post video of me walking with the bottom half attached. Carving the hands and starting to texture on Friday! Can't wait!

• Hey guys,
    Trying to figure out how much Rubber Cement I need for the painting process. I'm ordering 32oz- considering I'll be thinning this down you guys think it's enough? The head of the Rhino is about 2 feet by 1, the hands and feet are about a foot in length :-) Thoughts.
  • I found tinting the latex is easier. May not be as fine on the color grades, but it's hard to airbrush anyway without using ridiculous amounts of naptha.
    If you airbrush though, it won't take that much rubber cement. Steve Wang's mask tut has him painting that mask without much material. On the other hand, I painted my rhino with a 1500ml of tinted latex.
  • James, you can use water to thin latex also.
  • Mechs are done. Check out the video.

http://youtu.be/FVDpirR49xc

100%
    100%

• Skinned, textured. Not finished but getting there.
  • I'm glued, sticky, cut, and bleeding. But I'm not crying.
  • Good cause there's no crying in Fabrication.
  • Troy PicouTroy Picou ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    James, I thought we agreed we would not post my picture for the hangout!
  • Walk test- I'll have to tighten the elastic in the arms and add rings to the legs and neck. http://youtu.be/C8GcY54Wo6k
  • Tom, that is AWESOME!! I love the puppeteering feel to it. It really has character!
  • Troy, I'm sorry dude.
  • This is the back of my Rhino's foot- can you see what I did?
  • Looks cool tom
    edited September 2013
    Can you see the Stan Winston logo I the skin? lol I put it in an area that will slightly be seen- once it's painted no one will know :)
  • I see what you did there.
    edited September 2013
    Question: I roughly carved out my hands and like the long fingers but my original design had shorter fingers. I want to stay true to the design but also really like the longer fingers. What do you guys think? Remembering rhinos have elephant shaped feet.

Ps I know the one finger is bigger :)
    edited September 2013
    I also finished the Rhinos mouth. Whew!
  • I looked at the inside of the rhinos mouth and it just screamed latex and cotton.
  • On to final details! Plugging hair in latex is nowhere near as easy as foam...
    He needs a few coats of paint and detailing to make his seams close up and give him some life.