Options

How to use Super Baldiez to make Facial Hair Pieces

I am making some facial hairpieces, specifically  sideburns with Crepe Wool. I would like to try Super Baldiez w/ 99% alcohol to make a thin base to adhere the hair.  I do not know the ratio, especially if I use an air brush but that kind of concerns me about clogging issues.  Could I brush thin layers on a surface, like a Red Head or Glass?  What ratio of alcohol and Super Baldiez should I use to make thin layers?  Please advise.  Thank you.  Peggy Nichols

Answers

• Options
    Darrell GreenDarrell Green ✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    Hello Peggy, I have had to dig into some older classes but I cannot find any that promote using super or standard baldieze as a glue for direct hair application. Several describe how to blend a cap edge which should be the same solvent you are using for your mix but I would offer the view that the standard used by the hair totorials was majority Pros-Aide. Some were very retro with gums. Are you purposely attempting to embed the hairs in a synthetic skin layer of baldieze? Kudos to you if so, as that sounds like a keen way to make a partially reusable piece. The majority of baldieze use that I have found is in the following:

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/how-to-create-alien-makeup-part-one-bald-cap-and-prosthetic-makeup-application?watch=1&path=makeup-effects-basics-online-courses-beginning-makeup-fx-artists&path_id=23

Instructor is Brad Look. Search for his name as well because he is a pro with baldieze and its uses.
  • Options
    Darrell GreenDarrell Green ✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    I swear I remember him doing a deep dive explanation of baldieze and the uses of it in liquid form. That link above is one of 3 in a series by him.
  • Options
    I finally found the section I was remembering with another instructor, Super Ken, but he was using the standard acetone thinned not the super. So his ratios for spray won't help. Sorry:

Encapsulated Pros-Aide Prosthetics Part 2: Demolding, Application & Beauty Makeup

section 4
  • Options
    Hi @Peggy Nichols I reached out to our instructor and master hair artist Michael Ornelaz to see what he had to say about your question and this was his response:

I would start by steaming your crepe hair till you get the desired kink. On a piece of glass, brush on a very light layer of Vaseline as a release. To airbrush, you need to thin out Super Baldiez with alcohol. The ratio is about 4 parts alcohol to 1 part Super Baldiez, but play with the consistency till you feel it’s thin enough. You can also matte it out using TS-100 but be very careful not to inhale as it’s very bad for the lungs. Spray a layer and dry completely. Continue to build up till you achieve the desired thickness. Generally about 7 layers. After the last layer, begin to hand lay your crepe hair in light layers as long as it remains tacky. Brush the root end with the Super Baldiez to make sure the hair is adhering and repeat this process building up. Once you have finished laying the sideburn, you allow it to dry completely. Style as needed, then remove from glass.

I can also recommend this same technique using spirit gum and it’s much more controllable. Crystal Clear a piece of foam core and hand lay your crepe hair using matte spirit gum building up. Once you are done, Crystal Clear the sideburns locking the hair in place. Let it dry completely. Using alcohol, slowly brush them from the foam core until they are removed. You can use Matte Spirit Gum or Matte Telesis Adhesive to apply. They're one-time use only, but this is a fast effective way to make multiples. Hope this helps and best of luck on your project. - Michael