Silicone mask mold making question

Hi! I'm actually working on my first sculpt with NSP Chavant clay. This will eventually become my first ever silicone mask.

I'm wondering as I'm building the form, if I'll be better to do a 3 parts mold since the ears are quite long and kind of deep. Like 1 part front, and 2 parts back. Or you think it's manageable with a 2 parts mold? I'm only starting to add details on this, but I would like to know what to expect when I get to mold making!

So what do you think?

I also intend on creating a mold for the teeth only. What's the best material for realistic looking teeth ? and what do you suggest I use as a mold ? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Sculpt is looking great!

I think you can get away with a 2 piece mold for the head with the ears intact, having your seam line running along the edge of the ear from top to bottom.   Since they will be cast in a soft silicone you should be able to work them out of the mold.

For the teeth, I would mold them in silicone and cast them in dental acrylic. 

/Chris
  • Hey @MaxL - We passed along your question to master silicone mask maker Mikey Cooke from Immortal Masks for his thoughts as well and here's what he had to say:

"it should be fine in a two-part mold if you follow the ears. I'm not familiar with the core so I can't say for certain it will be fine. 3 piece molds are always doable, just a little more time-consuming."