Options

anyone with experience in clear resins?

I am currently making large crystal growth out of hard insulation foam and will coat them in epoxy and mold with silicone, im trying to make a lamp for my wife and I don't know what would be the best solution to make as clear as possible crystal growths, minimal bubbles or yellowing. yes, got the idea from playing destiny to much.

Comments

• Options
    Greetings Randal,

Reynolds Advanced Materials makes a few great clear epoxies.

EpoxAcast 690 is clear and has some UV resistance.  
    http://www.smooth-on.com/Castable-Epoxy-Res/c1295_1377/index.html

For the more advanced user (IE: someone with a good ventilation setup and some experience working with nastier chemicals) there is their "Crystal Clear" series which is optically clear http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

If you have a material that is known to yellow over time with UV exposure you can add a tiny bit of blue tint to help balance out the yellowing.

Also, I'm not sure how large your crystals will be, but if you place the molds in a pressure pot during curing it will help with clarity.   The pressure does not remove the bubbles, but makes them much smaller.

/Chris
  • Options
    Does it have to be clear clear? Crystals have many different types of imperfections that more often than not increase their value. So maybe a little bit of a white haze here and there would take focus away from little mishaps?   
  • Options
    thank you for the info everyone, all great tips. Im looking into pressure pots. this is getting to be an expensive project fast...thanks again. love the support on this forum
  • Options
    Any time Randal, and I can't wait to see your creation!

/Chris
  • Options
    Here are a few casts I did with Smooth on crystal cast 200 & 202. The full skulls were hand rorocasted. the others were poured into a mold. very little bubbles in the poured versions, but pretty clear. Obviously making them solid will consume a lot of material & weigh quite a bit. Another option could be to cut clear acrylic & glue it together. While it wont be optically clear along the edges it may work to your advantage when underlit with the light source, like an edgelit sign. I have a video of the skulls on my youtube channel. My wife wanted me to make them for the centerpieces for all the tables at our wedding.
  • Options
    Those sculls look great.  The bubbles created in the rotocast versions really help defuse the light.

/Chris