Creature Head Bust. (Imaginatio humana)

1/9 Scale model study before final.

Hey all,

I've been working on a creature head sculpture in hopes of getting a commission (Fine art or in Film). I just finished up my 3 day free trail and think I may get a month trail to refine some skills. I watched many tutorials on painting with my trail and noticed mostly every artist had a preference in what brand of Acrylic ink they use to paint realistic flesh with. I would love to hear anyone's preferences from experience with acrylic ink. After painting I'd like to lay hair the same way you would lay a beard on an actor for film but was wondering if anyone knew a long lasting adhesive I could use? I'm using a two part epoxy compound to sculpt with call "Fix-it" Sculpt by AVE'S (stuffs awesome!)

This sculpt is more of a Fine art piece so here is the concept:
When we were young our "imagination" ran wild. Where we went and what we saw all seemed so real. That is until we where told that the things we've been "imagination" are nothing but dreams and fairy tails thus killing our fantasy's. We began to no longer own our reality and our "imagination" begin to fade. This creature represent a killed dream, It's head mounded on a wooden plague as the trophy for its murder and reminds us that what we believe to be real will always be real. I want adults, teens and children to walk into the room and question everything they've be told about reality when viewing this life-like piece. To aspire to "imagine" and play again.

I have given this creature the species name "Imaginatio humana" which is Latin for "(From the) human imagination".

Would love to hear any constructive criticism

Comments

• I really dig the style of this creature, and the concept behind the project.  

On your inks question, I've worked a bit with FW acrylic inks a lot and they are pretty good.  That said I've moved on to using Time Gore's Bloodline acrylics and have not looked back.

As for laying the hair on, you should be able to use pros-aide just like you would on a person.  I've used it to lay hair on pieces that have lasted years without any real issue.  You'll also want to lightly powder it afterwords to remove any tack.

I'm curious to see what finishing techniques you use on this creature, as it's looking really good even at this stage.   That large open mouth is a great candidate for clear epoxy to add wetness/drips.

/Chris
  • Thanks Chris. I'll keep you posted. What set do you have by Tim? Also how far do those ink stretch? Would I be able to cover the sculpt with a little or would I have to invest in multiply bottles?
  • Tim's paints are not technically inks, but acrylic airbrush paints.  I have the master set, which includes the entire color line.  But you can easily buy the smaller kits or (I believe) individual colors to match the needs of a  project.

They do go a long ways (great pigment density), but I would suggest basing your entire sculpt in a neutral mid-tone color first.  For that you can use anything, including latex house paint.  I mostly use the Bloodline paints in thin washes to build colors up gradually, but that's mainly just my personal preference/style.  The painting lesson by Casey Love and Tim Gore features these paints pretty extensively, and I found that I learned a lot from it.

/Chris
  • Chris, I'll be looking into Tim's Products. Also great advice for a base coat. Was wondering if I should do the whole sculpture with the same base coat or do the skin one base and the mouth and tongue a more pinkish base? Also I found 91% alcohol the grocery store I was wondering if this would work instead of 99%?
  • I would base the mouth with a different color like you suggested.

91% might work for some applications like thinning paint in moderation, but I believe it would have some trouble activating things like Skin Illustrator pallets.

As for thinning paints with it, it would basically be the same as thinning the paint with 99% and then adding a little water.  It will dry faster than if you thinned it with water, but not as fast as if it was just 99% iso.  With any paint formula I try to use their reducer, and occasionally add a very small amount of 99%.

That said, I've never tried the 91% as 99% is so readily available here in LA or online for me.  When ever you try a new material or process it's always a good idea to do a small test first, on something other than your production piece. 

/Chris
  • I've just got to say that your creature looks wicked awesome! And I absolutely love the purpose behind it! :smiley: 
  • Blake BradleyBlake Bradley ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Thanks Joshua! Just started painting it today. Here are a few pictures.
    Post edited by Blake Bradley on
  • Looking good!

/Chris
  • Here are a few painting process photos.
  • love to see the end result