Michael VanBenschoten's Beast Forge

Hi Guys! I'm excited about this new forum. Instead of making a bunch of separate posts for each project I'll be posting in one consolidated thread.
Thanks for viewing!

GRIM SENTINEL
the concept behind this guy is he's a herdsman of hell, guiding and preventing souls from wandering off.

Concept thumbnails

Alien bust, From a sketch I did at work

A creature I made as an audition for a competition series. I didn't make it onto season 1. But I guess there's always next year.

BEBOP From TMNT

SATYR

ROCK MAN
sketch I did during work

SPACE SALAMANDER

and just as a teaser A mermaid WIP

Comments

• Wow! Lots of great work here! My favorites are the sentinel, competition piece, and mermaid.
  • Thanks Mike! Glad you like it, I'll have more later and hopefully I'll get some of these cast in resin and painted.
  • edited November 2013
    Bebop looks great and i really like the space salamander, great looking character and nice paint job.
  • Nice work. They look like they are roughly 1/6 scale. I like your use of bearings for the eyes. I started to do that on my 1/50 scale work. I think I will try it out on larger figures now too. Looking forward to seeing the mermaid completed.
  • Yeah, I generally work 1/6 to 1/4 scale. But that's just a general guideline.
     Matt - if you can find it at a sporting goods store, they make steel bbs of various sizes for slingshot ammo. I have a package of 3/8 inch ones that I'm using.
    Josh- the paint scheme of the salamader was inspired by a picture of a fake "Roswell" Alien 'crash victim' that had some convincing burnt skin. I liked the colors and wanted to make a character out of that.
  • Thanks for the sporting good store tip. I was going to try wheel bearing, but the sling shot ammo is a great idea. I will try out the large sporting good store near my office. Of course they might sell it on line if I can not find there. Matthew
  • edited January 2014
    A new piece I'm finishing up. I call it mollusc man.

• I like that paint job. The color really pops on the head symbols. Do you cast and then paint these or do you paint the clay? Matthew
  • I do a bit of both. If you use a polymer clay like super sculpy, you can sculpt, bake and paint in one go, then cast later.
     You can paint oil clays, but I like to reuse mine without having to scrape off a layer of paint, so I cast those first.
  • Nice work!
  • Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭
    Out of all your fantastic work, the space salamander is my favorite.
  • very nice sculptures!