The Revenant Cosplay, Dicaprio impersonation cosplay costume / Hugh Glass cosplay costume

Darrell GreenDarrell Green ✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Costumes & Cosplay
The following is not in build order but here is one of my finished poses as Dicaprio as Glass in The Revenant. Background taken from original scene:
Post edited by Darrell Green on

Comments

• Darrell GreenDarrell Green ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Here is my original makeup test and split screen comparison:
    edited April 2022
    The makeup consisted of two shaped beard additions to fill in patches that I cannot grow. I cut out paper templates to fill in the corresponding space, to match the actor, and these were used to cut the pieces from lace beard. Colored to match my beard.

Drawn in bulk to the eyebrows. Blue contacts. Rigid colloidion scars with red makeup pencil shadowing.

Black eye is two colors of lipstick covered in carbon charcoal powder.

Charcoal powder liberally added for grime and cherry cool-aid staining on fingers.
  • with two custom cut erasers for bruise stippling.
  • The beard frost and base white on the face is cake frosting
    edited April 2022
    The costume is a thrift leather jacket taken apart and hand sewn with custom handcolored thread. Stained, greased, dirtied, with bear damage added. The grease was one part beeswax, one part paraffin lamp oil and one part tallow with charcoal powder added. The hood is a carpet sewn on with white yarn.

The antler was a shed from my neighbor's property. The neck wrap is stained bedding with an added elastic connector.

The shirt is thrift with altered and colored buttons.

The pants are scrubs, greased and dirtied to match. Leg wraps are borrowed pelts held on wth elastic straps.

The stick was carved from a limb using a powered hand saw. The hand wraps are cherry stained ace wrap bandages.

edited April 2022
    The bag, the Possibles bag, was made from another thrift store fake suede coat. This pick is just the base portion followed by the finished.

edited April 2022
    The powder horn was a true horn that I won in an online game. The straps for the horn were painted belts from the thrift store. The straps for the bag were cobbled together from leftover leather scrap.

• I will add more component pics when I have time.
    edited April 2022
    Photos were taken with my phone and a Canon D60 on a tripod. Most were selfies using an infrared remote. I cannot emphasize this enough.... DO NOT USE AN INFRARED REMOTE for this purpose. Purchase the true radio wireless add on and remote for this purpose or attempt the phone bluetooth app. The infrared remote is extremely inconsistent and is far more frustration than it is worth. Scene adaptation was done in photoshop using scenes from the movie. No changes were done to my makeup nor to my costume using photoshop other than lighting to match the scene photo.
  • I love seeing all the individual pieces and progress shots.   A lot goes into a costume like this!

/Chris
  • @Chris Ellerby Just last week, I was bragging on another student for their amazing documentation and mentioned that I usually fail to do so, myself. It made me take the time to take my process and parts shots before posting. This next shot is my main goal for this build but I will continue to play with a few that were used in the Revenant promotional material and posters as they are more likely to be recognized by individuals who did not see the film. I usually try to pick a famous scene, a memed scene, or a movie poster or preview clip as they are the most recognizable over time. This was the most difficult color grading I have done so far because of all of the snow reflections that were in the original scenes. The Revenant director used all natural lighting on these big field shots so there isn't one big light source and it was cloudy as well so no direct sunlight in most of these. And yes, I am whining, these were very hard to process to a near match for lighting.

• These were my max facial likeness percentages from my likeness app: