Weight vs Volume Measurements in resin/silicone castings?

What is the go-to weight "measurement" in the industry when making SFX type items? For example, if I'm going to send instructions to someone to build a widget that needs a resin mold and then silicone casting, what is the preferred measurement to use? While I'm a believer there are no stupid questions,, I feel kind of silly asking this. But you don't know what you don't know right?
Thanks in advance -Eric 

Comments

• Hey Eric,

i prefer to use   the Volume as measurement. 

Its easier to  use volume because   it includes the   size of the surface and the  hight/ strenght of the  items wich will  be builted.

Depending on which material is used and which density it has, the weight can spread  a lot while the volume will always be the same on the same project. 

I hope it helps.

Greets  

Kai

• Hi Eric,

In my experience, it's mostly ounces or grams if it's a really small volume and accuracy is required.

In some cases, the volume is good as you may have a mold with a known interior size but you may use different materials to cast into it, and for each material, you'll have to calculate different A/B mix ratios, and some materials may expand.

/Chris

• Thank you gents, good information.