What Hardware is this?

I could fashion/ modify my own hardware using stuff like mountable shaft collars, rod ends, bearings, and the like. That could leave me with similar results but time is more of the issue on my current project. My question is, are these off the shelf parts? If so what are they called? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Hi Justin,

It's hard to tell from the photo, but there's a good chance it's a combination of off the shelf parts mixed with some custom machined components.   I'd need a closer look to say for sure.

If you are trying to fabricate something quickly I recommend a fabrications system like Actobotics ( https://www.servocity.com/actobotics/ ). I've used their system a lot on past projects prototype all kinds of stuff.  More parts can be found here:  https://www.servocity.com/structure/

There are also systems like "Maker Beam" built around aluminum extrusions.  But Actobotics focuses heavily on moving components rather than rigid frameworks.

/Chris
  • It’s a still of Jim Kundig working on prototyping the parallelograms for the robot mech y’all and legacy were a part of for wired magazine. Specifically, from the 3/7 video about the prototype stage...

I’m more intrigued by #2 and how the inline swivel is internal. I could just chop two blocks of aluminum to the inner diameter, bore a hole in each, press bearings in, tap and set screws to secure bearings, turn a shaft with grooves for e clips to secure the bearings blocks onto the shaft, insert, tap, and tahdah.... but I feel like there is something much like a tie rod end that is only a click away......

Anyhow, thanks for the references!
  • Matt WinstonMatt Winston Admin
    edited October 2020
    Hi Justin, We reached out to Jim Kundig and this is what he had to say. Hope it helps clarify things for you! -Matt

The top piece is a McMaster-Carr clevis, 1/4-inch.
    The bottom piece is a 1-inch steel shaft collar (from McMaster-Carr) with a 1/4"-20 hole in it, then a McMaster-Carr solid rod end is cut short and threaded into the 1/4"-20 hole and welded so it can't spin (you can try Loctite but it can fail sometimes).
    Each piece of square tube has a cube of Delrin pinned inside it at the end. These pieces are tapped for 1/4"-20 screw. Then a very long 1/4"-20 set screw is threaded into one side and pinned.  Then the other side is just threaded on partially so it can still spin.
  • Thanks Matt! I love how accessible y’all are, and how you guys truly seek to find the best answers for us. 

After spending some more time watching the series and looking at stills, I started to peruse McMaster Carr (download the app finally). Fantastic resource that most in the industry seem to use, and for good reason. That answered enough of my questions to get the project sent to the budget meeting. I got the green light and have been given an extension to complete this character. I look forward to sharing the end product with you guys!

If you see this, give Jim my thanks!!! His insight will help incredibly. And tell him I look forward to more courses from him in the near future! 😉
  • Hey Justin, It's our pleasure to help out.
    Big congrats on the greenlight to take the next steps with your character build! We're excited to see the final result.
    Enjoy exploring the McMaster-Carr website. Without a doubt a go-to resource for all character mechanics.
    We're happy to pass along your thanks to Jim for his insights (and your request for more lessons from him).