Options

Which Silicon is generally the best to use when making prosthetics, as well as moulds.

Hi all!

I'm new to the SFX industry, particularly in creating my own moulds, casts & prosthetics. 
Because of this, I was wondering if someone could please tell me which of these silicones from this shop near me (https://www.barnes.com.au/addition-cured-silicone-4?orderby=reference&orderway=desc) would be the best to use universally/generally? If you recommend several for separate uses or reasons & would be able to tell me why, I would highly appreciate that.

Thank you for your time!

Answers

• Options
    On the site you provided, PLATSIL GEL-10 is a good general purpose silicone.  It's also a common silicone, so gaining experience with it will be valuable.  You can make both prosthetics and molds with Gel-10.  Though sometimes you may want a harder silicone for molds or a softer silicone for prosthetics.  Gel-10 is a common middle of the road silicone, and you can add a deadener to it for softer/more flexible prosthetics, or a thickener to help with mold making if needed.

The number after Platsil Gel is the durometer, so the Platsil Gel-00 is much softer and the Platsil Gel-25 is much harder.  If you find the Gel-10 is too soft for a specific mold/project I would try the 25.

Hope that helps!

/Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris, 

I hope you're doing well & staying safe during this time.

Thank you so much for your reply - it was incredibly helpful & just what I was needing to know!

Kind Regards,
    Briar-Rose
  • Options
    My pleasure!

Looking forward to seeing what you create with it!

/Chris