About Molding & Casting a hand

Hi,

I have just finished the Rob Burman video "Prosthetic Makeup Basics - Gelatin Facial Appliances - Part 1" in the sculpture pathway.
Very interesting but making that alone, i don't know if it is a good idea. I have see some people trying that (on youtube).
Is it possible to make a mold like in this lesson but for an other part of the body? Which part?

I have made some research about molding and casting after that.

I have discover Plastil Gel 25 and Body Double.

Is the plastil gel 25 can replace the alginate?
And the body double replace the ultra cal 30?

I would like to try to make a mold and cast of my hand.

Regards

Comments

• Platsil Gel 25, Body Double, or other silicones can be used in the same way you would use alginate.  The main differences being that silicones are a bit more expensive, but they can be used to cast more pieces.  You would also need to apply barriers and releases if you wish to cast silicone in a silicone mold, as silicone will bond to silicone.

Depending on what you are casting and the way you design your mold you will also need a rigid outer shell to help the mold keep its shape.  Plaster bandages are one option there.

This lesson on lifecasting will provide more in-depth information:

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/how-to-life-cast-character-creation-tutorial

/Chris

• Thank you very much, i will see this tutorial. There is so much different things to know about molding & casting! :-) 
    So i made a mistake when i bought Plastil Gel 25 and Body Double if there are almost the same thing.
    I will buy alginate and plaster bandages for the futur. 

I was inspired by a youtube tutorial:
    The person put his hand in a mold tube of Genesis V alginate.
    And after removing his hand, he put the Plastil Gel 25 inside the hole made by his hand.
  • Both Platsil Gel 25 and Body Double are 25 A durometer (hardness) platinum silicones.  Basically the same, but body double has been formulated specifically for life-casting.  That said, both are great silicones for life-casting. So if you have both, I'm sure you'll find plenty of uses for them!

/Chris