About Molding & Casting a hand

Hi,

I have just finished the Rob Burman video "Prosthetic Makeup Basics - Gelatin Facial Appliances - Part 1" in the sculpture pathway.
Very interesting but making that alone, i don't know if it is a good idea. I have see some people trying that (on youtube).
Is it possible to make a mold like in this lesson but for an other part of the body? Which part?

I have made some research about molding and casting after that.

I have discover Plastil Gel 25 and Body Double.

Is the plastil gel 25 can replace the alginate?
And the body double replace the ultra cal 30?

I would like to try to make a mold and cast of my hand.

Regards

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Platsil Gel 25, Body Double, or other silicones can be used in the same way you would use alginate.  The main differences being that silicones are a bit more expensive, but they can be used to cast more pieces.  You would also need to apply barriers and releases if you wish to cast silicone in a silicone mold, as silicone will bond to silicone.

Depending on what you are casting and the way you design your mold you will also need a rigid outer shell to help the mold keep its shape.  Plaster bandages are one option there.

This lesson on lifecasting will provide more in-depth information:

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/how-to-life-cast-character-creation-tutorial

/Chris

• Thank you very much, i will see this tutorial. There is so much different things to know about molding & casting! :-) 
    So i made a mistake when i bought Plastil Gel 25 and Body Double if there are almost the same thing.
    I will buy alginate and plaster bandages for the futur. 

I was inspired by a youtube tutorial:
    The person put his hand in a mold tube of Genesis V alginate.
    And after removing his hand, he put the Plastil Gel 25 inside the hole made by his hand.
  • Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Both Platsil Gel 25 and Body Double are 25 A durometer (hardness) platinum silicones.  Basically the same, but body double has been formulated specifically for life-casting.  That said, both are great silicones for life-casting. So if you have both, I'm sure you'll find plenty of uses for them!

/Chris