final critique post

Upload the finished image of your final piece for your final grade in the class. Final pieces must be uploaded by Tuesday September, 17th 12:00 am PDT.
Post edited by Christopher Vaughan on

Comments

• I'm confused. September 16th is a Monday, with Tuesday being the 17th. Do you mean Monday at Midnight heading into Tuesday, or Tuesday at Midnight heading into Wednesday?
  • good call Tomasi, I've extended it to the 17th at midnight PST
  • Hey Chris, Is there any word on the video of the course. I sent you an email regarding it.
  • So here is my final piece!!! I am uploading it now (i don't know the exact time of posting..i am in Greece and i m a bit confused with the time difference hahah!) So!

The piece took me about 12 hours of work...(3 hours during the webinar and then another 9 hours..) 

I wish i had more time to invest this week but i had a lot of work to do and several personal stuff kept me from working a lot more...! 

I hope the result meets the demands of the certificate :) 

Anyway i learned a bunch of sooooo much useful infos on how to upgrade my work!! 
    This is actually my first "render" type of photoshop painting! all the others are more comic style of digital painting!! (you can see them on my website www.134fxlabo.com) 

So yeah!! I have some projects in mind to develop with the new techniques i learned!!

I haven't time to do a neat rendering of the coke can, and the skin so much! Also several details i could work more!! But it's a matter of time !And for the time i had, i feel satisfied with the final result!!! So!! 

Here is my ALIENICE! (it's a weird combination of Alien and Device...hahah!! Didn't came up with something fancier as a name for this creature!!) 

• hey Panos: what's the scale of the alienice? Judging from the jelly beans and coke can, it looks to be relatively small... does this mean that the alienice is meant to attack in a swarm? or is it just a lone predator alien bot that attacks by surprise and stealth?
  • @Panos. If I am correct you have until wednesday morning 9:00. 
    That should be our European time (CET) for midnight PST. So maybe you find some extra time to work on the stuff you mentioned. I know I still got a sh!tload of work to do. 

• edited September 2013
    So... as of right now, we have a bit over 24 hours to hand it in? Awesome!!
  • @Tomasi I think more on a sidekick alien bot of a bigger character!! :) definately stealth mode!
  • @Robin yes i figured it out today!! :) problem is i have tons of work to do!! only time after midnight!! :D i hope i ll be able to do some more! :)
  • @robin thank you anyway a lot!
  • Here it is. I know I could work on the duffle bag and the ammo belt a lot more, but I've got a  ton of homework to catch up on and I've got to get up early in the morning. I have absolutely no time whatsoever to work on it any longer, so I hope that my submission does impress Dan enough to warrant me a Master's Cert.

Good luck, my fellow classmates!
  • Oops, deleted by accident. Here it is.
  • @Annita Indeed. A bit less right now, but still...
    And stupid me!!!
    I completely had to restart. Too much sketchy lines to fix to make it look nice. Had to redraw again, so changed the pose (and gender) this time. Have to admit I like it more as look and expression than the first ones, but now to see if I can get it done in time. Been working on it all night yesterday. Today I have a little bit of spare time and while travelling (train) and home I lock myself up again...
    Good luck y'all...
  • So, here it is. This Pandemonium version of Gabriel is a very strong, badass dude. I decided to create a very mysterious character, hence the background, the weapon he's using as a torch, horns,  and the hybrid plastic/reptile skin. You'd never be sure of WHAT he is. 

I color picked my basic colors from one of Dan's renders of Venom and then lowered the hue a little bit so it would look darker and had more contrast thanks to the torch. The fire is the only stock item I used.

The texture of his skin was a tricky thing to render: you basically have to wrap him up in layers that have different reflection, as you go out (in layers) you have to create a shinier material.
    Here's a funny fact: The reflection on the liquid (because it's not water, I don't know what it is, but it's not water) looks really cool but the reason why I did it is because my great weakness is drawing feet.

His name is Enfer. I hope you guys like it and can't wait to see your work. 

• So here is my final piece for the class, Gabriel from LMS wasn't completely satisfied with the way it was colored and stuff but it grew on me and I think it came out alright. I'm excited to see everyone else's work been checking on the forum looks great so far. Good Luck Everyone!!
  • I'd keep on working on this some more but my eyes are starting to cross on their own accord, so...

Marisa's alien mother could not bring her kid to her home planet because she knew that her race would never accept a half-human child, so she was left behind with her dad, who raised her as a normal human girly alternative girl, with her piercings and flower tattoos and her fake-but-not-really-fake glowy dreadlocks. Dad died when she was still a teenager, leaving her to fend for herself, working in construction with her demolition gloves, which she also uses for packing a wallop.

(is that story too trippy? I blame the energy drink.) 
  • OK, here's my final render for this character.

Background story ...? He/she/it was an experimental super soldier like Gabriel. The main scientist for the project thought it was a good idea to put some burrowing ability to the soldier - maybe it'll have some strategic advantage to sneak in to enemy territory. He decided to put some stem cells from his trusty pet groundhog Pete into the super soldier serum, but by doing so he lost Pete in the process. Several weeks went by but the soldier doesn't seem to show any of the desired abilities. The scientist then got an order to go to a different research facility, but was killed by the rebels occupying that area.  Well, shortly after that, the serum kicks in, and the soldier underwent physical changes, growing those teeth and large claws, and they had to create a special suit to contain him/her/it (the tongue really surprised them). Unbeknownst to the soldier's overseers, somehow a part of Pete becomes alive in the soldier. It took him over and now super-soldier Pete wondering where his owner is (in a missing kind of way, not the revenge kind). So now, SS Pete is going on a rampage/journey to find his loyal owner, although he doesn't know that his owner is dead, and groundhogs have no concept of death.  So he'll be perpetually looking for his owner. This is a picture of SS Pete rampaging through the facility looking for his owner.

I'm hoping this submission is worthy enough for the certificate! :D
  • Well, certificate aside, thank you Dan and Stan Winston School for the workshop and giving us so much valuable information, and taking the time to do all this. I really, really appreciate it. I'm hoping I can keep improving my skills and, who knows, maybe eventually find a job/career doing something I really love - character design.  Cheers!
  • Jorge HernandezJorge Hernandez ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Here's the final render. I fixed some things like the size of the head, rough lines I had left and aded some more gloss to his skin. I'll copy the text I had already wrote about it and add some more things.

So, here it is. This Pandemonium version of Gabriel is a very strong, badass dude. I decided to create a very mysterious character, hence the background, the weapon he's using as a torch (with a nice Anonymus ornament) , horns,  and the hybrid plastic/reptile skin. You'd never be sure of WHAT he is. 

I color picked my basic colors from one of Dan's renders of Venom and then lowered the hue a little bit so it would look a bit darker and had more contrast thanks to the torch. The fire is the only stock item I used (besides the metal and bone textures ).

The texture of his skin was a tricky thing to render: you basically have to wrap him up in layers that have different reflection, as you go out (in layers) you have to create a shinier material. As for the translucent look of it, I just erased (the top layer)at 70%  the parts I considered would show up through the skin because of a backlight (such as the right leg's tibia) or bones close to the skin (patella/knee). 

Here's a funny fact: The reflection on the liquid (because it's not water, I don't know what it is, but it's not water) looks really cool but the reason why I did it is because I'm terrible at  drawing feet. I'll learn....eventually...

His name is Enfer . I hope you guys like it and can't wait to see your work. The ones you've already posted are amazing.

Thanks Dan Luvisi, SWS and all of you guys. So much talent is really inspiring.

• OK, here's my final - final submission. Unfortunately I'm out of free time to work on it anymore so I don't have time to review the video and apply more techniques taught.

The story still goes as above ;) Hope Dan likes it.
  • Thanks for everything. Still kinda transitioning to tablet, hope the image makes it.

Everybody else's pic look great!  Lots of fun, can wait to get in more time with tablet.

• Lemme try this again, lol

• Hello there !
    Here's my final painting.
    I tried to improve it using what everyone told me on "our work so far".
    Hope that's better :D

• Here's my final, didn't have time to review the video and tweek it, hope I got most of the work down, didn't want to over draw it. Basically my guy's name is Uhuru, a black market weapons dealer (martian, human, hybrid, etc). Gabriel shut down a couple of his operations and he decided to handle him personally.  He as a vast arsenal at his disposal hat'll give anybody problems, but prefers modified martian bio-weapons.  The martian weapons are alive so they don't use typical ammo, more like lava, acid, spikes, tentacles, etc, something Gabriel might not be ready for. Hope you like.
  • Here's a better resolution of my final.
  • Here goes!

Worked on the light more, as suggested.

• Is it really bad that I only found out TODAY that we were supposed to either redesign Gabriel or create a villain? >_<

Suppose I can try and give my gal a bit more of an 'evil' look...
  • Here's my final, didn't have time to review the video and tweek it, hope I got most of the work down, didn't want to over draw it. Basically my guy's name is Uhuru, a black market weapons dealer (martian, human, hybrid, etc). Gabriel shut down a couple of his operations and he decided to handle him personally.  He as a vast arsenal at his disposal that'll give anybody problems, but prefers modified martian bio-weapons.  The martian weapons are alive so they don't use typical ammo, more like lava, acid, spikes, tentacles, etc, something Gabriel might not be ready for. Hope you like. Sorry can't upload a better quality picture, the internet here sucks.
  • Here is my final piece, I really wish I could have spent another week on this as time has been so short this week with the birth of my daughter. I have not even had a chance to re- watch the course video yet :(.. All in all I am really happy with my picture, I definitely think it is the best picture I have ever done.

The backstory for my character is as follows -
    Everett another Paladin like Gabriel was sent on a Black - Ops mission during the opening days of the Mars War. Possessing all the abilities of a Super Soldier from physical strength to a brain that can process information faster than most computers he was betrayed by the very company that created him, Arms-Tech.

Everett, left for dead after being shot in the chest several times was found by researchers from Mag-Corp an upcoming and rival weapons company to Arms-Tech. Through the use of numerous chemicals and nano technology they where able to bring Everett back from the brink of death but it came at a price, Everett lost his soul and became more machine and now has to inject viles of Nano-bots in to his body on a daily basis.

Mag-Corp knowing they could not match Arms Tech in terms of might on the battlefield started the Cygnus Program to wage war on a digital level. Everett enraged by the betrayal of Arms tech agreed to to be hooked up to the Cygnus device in order to help Mag-Corp replace Arms-Tech as the industrial military complex in Murika by use his super soldier brain to hack military grade firewalls so that he can take down the company that created and just tossed him away like trash... 

I managed to use a  lot of techniques Dan showed us -
    • Skin Rendering ( Both Characters )
    • Saliva ( Everett's mouth )
    • How to make things glow ( The Screen and Circuits on the Cygnus device )
    • How light works and bounce light etc. ( Refelection on Female Cyborg )
    * How to add texture to armour and then adding scratches ( The armour on Everetts leg and belt)
    • How to add texture to clothes ( Everetts Belt )
    • Using the lock pixel tool in creation of the cables
    • How to make Eyes look realistic.
    • How to apply Tattoos and make them look realistic
    • The use of Brushes for different effects like smoke / atmosphere.

Thanks must go out to Dan Lu Visi for sharing his awesome skills. The Stan Winston School & Chris Vaughan for putting this all together, Die Antwoord, Karma to Burn, Crippled Black Phoenix & Samsara Blues Experiment for keeping my mind going with their crazy ass songs and Monster energy drink for keeping me awake, and all the other students who kept me inspired with all their awesome work!!

• So here is my final work.
    I've been trying to watch the webinar again for some last minute tips, but that didn't work out...
    There are still some things that need to be rendered, but since I kinda lack the speed from experience I just don't have the time anymore...

I hope Dan likes it...
This discussion has been closed.