Options

Software Engineer of 20 years want to know... Where should I start?

Hi
I've been a Software Engineer for over 20 years and I want to try something else. I've looked at SWS for over a year now and I'm ready to make the commitment. I've looked at all the pathways and course descriptions, but the problem I have is that I am interested in all of it! I noticed that the different pathways have overlapping or some of the same courses. So the question I have is... Where should I start?

Answers

• Options
    Hi Christopher,

The pathways are a great place to start if you know which area you want to focus on first.  There's really no wrong place to start, as many skills depend on others or are part of a linear progression.  For example: Character design > sculpting > mold making > casting > painting.  Each is its own unique subject but combined they form the workflow of creating a character.

If you have a project you would like to build, that is also a good starting point.  That way you can evaluate your skills and progress while working, and focus on courses for the areas you need to grow to complete the project.

Otherwise, you can pick any individual course you are interested in as a starting point, and continue to move through the course library as you build inspiration or find areas you wish to focus on.

I hope that helps!

/Chris
  • Options
    Pathways are great as the team at Stan Winston put them in logical order. From here click on the Stan Winston logo at the top, then the pancakes on the left... three stacked lines. Then click pathways and on the next screen, scroll to what you want to start in.