Klo Paan the mercenary

Here’s my submission for the Character Making Contest 2024
I'm thrilled to share a personal project I've been working on for the past five months. Klo Paan is an alien mercenary inspired by the universes of Star Wars and The Creator. Having roamed several planets in search of bounties, his body bears the marks of countless battles and the prosthetics he acquired throughout his adventures. He is 1.96 meters ( 6' 4" ) tall. 
The concept and design of Klo Paan were developed over five months, a journey that involved sculpting, sewing, crafting, prototyping, 3D printing, and painting. Each step was crucial in bringing him to life, making him as believable as any character from the vast galaxies he inhabits.
The concept work was in real-time; I made many design changes throughout the process, gradually understanding who this character was, his story, and his motivation.
Materials played a significant role in this project. EVA was used for his armor and solar panel, resin for his weapons, backpack, mechanical arm, rifle, grenades, knives, and radio. The organic elements, such as his hands and head, were sculpted in water clay, molded in plaster, cast in latex, and then painted. His eyes were sculpted in 3D, printed in resin, and painted to bring a lifelike quality to his gaze.
A distinct visual identity was paramount. Every piece of his clothing and weaponry was designed to have its own place, communicating a cohesive visual narrative. The overall silhouette was carefully worked on to break traditional forms, making Klo Paan an intriguing figure.
I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed the whole process.
Check out more images on my Instagram!  

Comments