Options

Epoxy / fiberglass mold making question

Hi! Yesterday I completed the first side of my very first epoxy resin and fiberglass mold, using the exact same product instructed in the Immortal masks courses. Except for the mold release which is Smooth On Universal mold release. 

This morning, when cleaning the clay, I realised that pretty much everywhere that I put Habitat Black epoxy putty, there are some small bumps about the size of a grain of salt. Those are not very thick, but it makes the surface a bit rougher than the rest which is Smooth. 

My question is: Do you suggest that I sand down those bumps? Or it won't affect the mold at all since it's small? 

Thanks for your help again :) 

Comments

• Options
    Hey @MAXIM Lévesque Lequin - We shared your note with course instructor Mikey Cooke and he said, "unless they're causing an undercut I wouldn't worry about them." Happy mask making! - Matt
  • Options
    Hey @MAXIM Lévesque Lequin - We shared your note with course instructor Mikey Cooke and he said, "unless they're causing an undercut I wouldn't worry about them." Happy mask making! - Matt
    Perfect! Thanks :) 

I also have another question, I cleaned my mold like 3 times using naphta and 99% alcohol, but there's always some kind of white "film" on the gel coat that I can't seem to get rid of. You can see on the picture. Everything seems clean to the touch. Do you think it's because the alcohol and naphta kind of dried the gel coat and it leaves this? 
  • Options
    Perfect! Thanks :) 

I also have another question, I cleaned my mold like 3 times using naphta and 99% alcohol, but there's always some kind of white "film" on the gel coat that I can't seem to get rid of. You can see on the picture. Everything seems clean to the touch. Do you think it's because the alcohol and naphta kind of dried the gel coat and it leaves this? 
    Never mind about this, I succeeded after a 4th time 😅.