Options

Foam latex

I am going to make a foam latex oven based on the plans from stop motion magazine, and was wondering... can I bake the foam indoors? Or should I keep the oven outside? I've never done it before, so I don't know. I have heard that it smells, which is why I'm weary of putting the oven indoors.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Troy,

As long as the space is well ventilated you should be fine.  Also, take safety precautions to prevent fire, such as keeping the oven away from flammable objects, having a fire extinguisher nearby, and watching it closely.  Foam ovens are generally relatively safe due to their low temperatures, but with homemade solutions, it's best to be on the safe side. 

/Chris
  • Options
    Seconding what Chris said.  Foam is extremely stinky, so if by indoors you mean your house, I would strongly urge you to avoid this.  Most indoor foam ovens are positioned on or around a fume hood that siphons off the fumes, and even in those environments the smell is still detectable and often strong.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks. Yes, I was going to build it indoors (in home) but won't now. Seems like a really tedious process!
  • Options
    Darrell GreenDarrell Green ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Good call. I made the mistake of doing a clear cast resin in my house. They are often high fume when quickset. Vomit inducing for several days. It isn't impossible and only a few procedures are like this so don't get discouraged. Throw some wheels on it for easy transport outside if you don't have a good spot. I know several folks here that made very small ovens and used them in a ventilated bathroom or utility room. I can't get away with that because the princess who lives here can be difficult and I love her too much to be the guy who permanently scented the kitchen with latex fumes. But it all comes down to ventilation and safety so maybe on the patio isn't so bad a spot if there isn't the right situation indoors. Just don't give up, there is always a work around.
  • Options
    I gave up on foam latex for now, Darrell. I think I'm going to stick to silicone for the fact that I don't have to baby-sit it (I don't really want to stay nearby an oven for 2-3 hours to make sure it doesn't catch fire). Maybe sometime I'll get back into foam.
  • Options
    I can certainly agree on the flame issue. I happen to be easily distracted on the level of "can't boil water without nearly burning the house down", so I avoid things that can go wrong if I get sidetracked.. It seems the fit for foam is specific to reduction of weight (bigger costumes almost require it) and the reduction of drooping. The big bragging point of foam is how it retains its external surface shape without the drooping inherent in silicone. But for light appliances and flesh realistic movement, silicone is very impressive. One of these fine days we will have a cloth matrix, inner layer and outer layer connected by columns of strings, coated in foam and then backfilled with silicone. Something that really simulates the true build structure of flesh and fat with connective tissue included. But until then, gelatin and silicone are my second skin.
  • Options
    Running foam is as much as an artform as something like sculpture.  It is a very challenging medium that is sensitive to its environment.  Temperature and humidity play a large role in the gelling and vulcanizing phases of foam latex, so while it is terribly stinky, you almost have to run the foam in some kind of climate controlled environment.  But it can be done!  I cut my teeth on the stuff doing it in 90 degree shop with 60% humidity and if you're willing to adjust your recipe, it can work!