Green screen / compositing class?

David DeMattiaDavid DeMattia ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Suggestions and FAQ
Hello!

It would be great to have a class on Compositing techniques. I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro for years (have been leary of After Effects, but I have it) and am thinking of getting a green screen in the next few months. Would really like to know some of the modern compositing techniques that used to take an Optical Printer "back in the day". I think the class would help tie everything together.

Peace out!

David

Comments

• Sounds interesting.  For many people getting started this would be a good way to matt in finishes, or to create virtual props to include in their movies.

Considering that some shows like Babylon 5 owe their success to green screening, and likewise many of the amateur  Start Trekc fan videos make full use of them.

Thanks for the suggestions
    Dave
  • Adobe Premiere is a great editor, but for compositing and chroma keying you would want to move over to something like Adobe After Effects.  While Premiere has some basic tools to handle motion graphics/compositing/etc, After Effects is much more robust.  The two also work extremely well together, sending shots from Premiere over to AE and back.

I'll be sure and pass along your lesson suggestion to the team!

Thanks,

/Chris
  • Chris, My comment about After Effects was a little tongue in cheek. I know that I'll have to learn how to use it but, I don't understand it. Editing , though, I do understand. Have been using Premier since the first Windows Version. Before that , it was "cuts only" linear tape editing. And back in the day, Super & Regular 8mm film.
    I've been experimenting with some simple effects in Premier, but I think it's time to jump into AE.
    I'm working on a list of things I'd like to see in a class. Will post it later this week.

Also, David Boccabella, thanks for the comment. Was a big fan of Babylon 5.

David
  • If you are looking to learn After Effects, I highly recommend http://www.videocopilot.net/

When I first started with After Effects that site helped me a ton.  And he's still releasing great tutorials all the time.

/Chris
  • David DeMattiaDavid DeMattia ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Chris, Just watched the SciFi Weapon tutorial - coolness. I've always had this question: For a Comp, Do you do your audio effects/sweetening in AE or Premiere?
  • edited August 2016
    I do a bit in both, but I'm also not doing very professional audio since that's not really a skill set I've worked on too much.  One option is to use Adobe Audition for that, but that side of things is a bit of a mystery to me!

/Chris
  • Sound is no problem. Been doing soundscaping and sound design for live theater since I was a fetus. I use Sound Forge and Acid for my design shenanigans. I recently was introduced to Audacity which is a free sound editor and pretty damn good.
  • I used to use Sound Forge a lot, but have moved to Audacity as well.  I only do the most basic of audio editing so it works well for me.  And you can't beat free!

/Chris
  • David DeMattiaDavid DeMattia ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Chris, I watched a few more of video co pilot lessons. Decided to try to play with AE.

Here is my first attempt. The dog is my Boxer, Baxter and the MEOW is me.

https://youtu.be/JO-jMTomCbs
  • Hahaha, nice!

/Chris
  • Hello All,

I've been bored in the studio lately , so I thought I try making myself a Jedi.

https://youtu.be/SERclLOu_5A
  • Nice!  Makes me want to open up After Effects again!

/Chris
  • I still need to work on the glow. But, (I think) not bad for not knowing anything!

• Well - you have the Alex Guinness look down correctly :), just need the brown robe.
  • Chris Ellerby,

Let us know how the dinner goes with Steve Johnson! I only signup for the hard Cover book - David

#Rubberheadlive

• I'll post an update after.  Looking forward to it!

/Chris
  • I think a SWS Green Screen Class from an industry pro would be a really great thing. There are so many different approaches and the more insight a person has to how different artists get things done, the better off you'll be.

I have a Pinterest board to a few good tutorials I'd like to offer. Here's the link: https://www.pinterest.com/MoonlightArtMag/green-screen-tips-and-tricks/