Options

Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf

Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Costumes & Cosplay

Hello! This is the first time I have ever posted progress on a character build before. I hope you all enjoy what I share with you.

I find a lot of enjoyment not only making these costumes, but trying new methods of making costumes. Not anything that would be impossible, just one or two things that would be new to challenge/ motivate me along the way to keep me interested.

I have always wanted to make some medieval battle armor. Something I could wear to a renaissance fair, but so far I have only dressed as creatures.

Since S.G.C. is coming up, my Ganon costume there was a real success in 2013, and I like wearing masks. I decided I am going to make a Ganondorf costume.
Ganondorf is a character that has been done a lot, and I have never really liked his designs. That is until I saw his radical Hyrule Warriors design! His flowing spikey main of hair is gnarly!

I have already gotten a lot of the face done.

I sculpted the face in clean clay, molded in smooth-on rebound, and cast in smooth-on dragonskin.

I have air bubbles but there are no air bubble holes. Since the silicon is transparent you can see some pretty big air bubbles right under the surface of the skin.
This is because I did not put Thivex (silicon thickener) into the dragonskin for the print layer. I just sloshed it around the cast. The other batches of dragon skin had Thivex and I just pushed it around the best I could. So there is at least a thin membrane of silicon all over the mask. When I paint the mask the air bubbles shouldn't even be visible.

So it came out 94% perfect. From the color to the thickness. I have put it up to my face and everything seems to be lining up great with my nose, eyes, and mouth.

It's been raining hard, and often here in north central Texas. When the weather clears up I will paint this up.

Since this is over two pounds of silicon I may want to add a strap to help support some of the weight. I have been planing on just letting the skin-tight adhesive do all the work. Adding a strap seems like a pain.

I have bought 2 sets of fake elf ears. 

One option is to just add some dragon skin over the elf ears (Since silicon only sticks to silicon), and attach them to the mask.

Or sculpt my own set of ears, cast them in silicon, and attach them to the mask.

The last option will take more time, and use up more of my dragon skin (Not cheap stuff), but is sure to work.

How would you approach this situation? What do you all suggest?

The next steps are painting the face, and adding hair. After that I will move on to the armor, and finish with the weapons (If I have time). I am very excited for this costume!

If anyone has questions on how I did anything I would be happy to answer.

Post edited by Chris Ellerby on

Comments

• Options
    Looking great!

If the elf ears you found work, I'd go with those.  Molding and casting ear appliances can be quite challenging. If you have a source for ears you like, I would just use those.

With the character design in your first photo you can use the hair and sideburns to help hide your blending edges, which might come in handy.

Can't wait to see your finished application!

/Chris
  • Options
    Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭

I ended up pinning the ears I purchased to the head. Then painting precured dragonskin silicon over them. This attached the ears to the head, and it allows be to paint them with the same paint as the mask.

I tried airbrushing, but I either can't get the paint thin enough to run through the airbrush, or the little compressor I am using is not putting out enough air.

I brushed on the base layer. I think I will brush on the rest. I will try using the big compressor, but it is so loud I am second guising it.

• Options
    Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭
    These pictures are out dated. I noticed that the paint was not curing. So I went over the entire mask with some dragon skin to seal it. While I did that I added some more shading.
    I made it darker in the eye sockets and accented the lines in the nose.I just finished painting. I wish I could have done it with a airbrush, but things just didn't work out.

I started making the wig. What I plan to do is take a sheet and sew it to the back of the mask. Then glue a sheet 1/8 th inch sheet of foam to the sheet. Then glue foam spikes to the foam sheet that is glued to the sheet. Then finish by gluing hair to the foam that is glued to the sheet of foam that is glued to the sheet.

So what I did was dye the sheet orange (came out red). Then I dyed all the foam.
  • Options
    Coming along great!

/Chris
  • Options
    Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭

I ended up hot gluing the foam on...
    I will forever be a slave to the hot glue masters.

I started laying the hair. I am not to doing so great.
    In the pictures it is looking okay, but you get 3 feet away and you see a few flaws.
    I got the Stan Winston school video over beard laying. I watched a few sections of it, and I think I should be doing better from here on.
    It is the back end the wig so I doubt it will get a lot of exposure. This is the place to make any mistakes.

I wish I waited a day before I purchased the stream. Mr. Anderson's stream on laying a beard is a great lesson, but Aimee is much more pleasant to look at.