Does anyone know how the necks were made for the velociraptor in Jurassic Park?

I've seen the special features but the details in which it was made I feel as left us in the dark. Does anybody know how this works? How is was made?

Best Answer

Answers

• Probably some cable mechanisms on a few steel rods. 
  • Jared LeeJared Lee ✭✭✭
    I assume it was made like a huge tentacle, and maneuvered with cables from the inside.
  • Wow, Tom. That sure shows it. Thanks for the link.

• I see the "parallelogram" or triple parallelogram used to describe the mechanism used to control the head and mouth, of the raptors and the aliens.  But I see anywhere how to build it or even how it works.  Has anyone come across this mechanism? 
  • edited May 2014
    Adam:  As for parallelogram mechanisms, here is an example of one that I am currently prototyping.  Please do not share these designs outside of this community, as they are proprietary and attached to a big project.  I've had to hide much of the design just to be able to share it here.  But I promise the finished project will eventually be shared on these forums.

This prototype is unfinished/untested.  For big projects I typically build and test designs and mechanisms virtually prior to physical construction.  I can rapidly iterate through many virtual designs, saving the time/materials associated with physical construction and identify pain points before they become an expense.  The final design can then generate a precise materials list, also helping save on cost.

This design does not yet incorporate head roll.  Here's what it does incorporate.

Neck raise/lower
    Neck yaw left/right
    Head pitch up/down
    Head yaw left/right

With the parallelogram the head will remain at what ever angle you set it at with the hand controls as the neck raises and lowers, allowing the character to maintain it's general gaze. 

/Chris
  • This video also demonstrates a similar mechanism that is a lot simpler than my configuration, as it's all in-line.  (mine needs to have the controls below the mechanism, which adds a fair bit of complication)

• I still have questions about how the form attached to to the skull and how the spiral maintained its shape without impeding flexibility
  • Hi Neev,

While I don't have the actual method used, the foam would most likely have been glued where a permanent connection was needed.  It would also be possible to glue fabric tabs the neck and use a temporary method to attach the fabric to the skull like snaps, velcro, etc.

Foam, depending on the density, is great at holding its shape.  In the case of the neck, the spaces between the form in the spiral allowed extra room for compression and less resistance for expansion. 

/Chris