"This is gonna hurt me more than it will hurt you..."

:(
I practically had to physically restrain myself from re-doing this eye the night before the class... I knew Don would call me on it, but now that he has.... I DON'T WANNA!!! :( LOL
Seriously though, the whole art 'thing' is new to me.. I find it interesting how personal it can be... cutting this eye out of the very first sculpt I've been happy with was actually quite difficult to do. I guess the little guy has a reason to cry now :(

Comments

• night one was a bust... I am having a hell of a time matching the position and shape of the eye.. first was too high, next too far left, too flat, not enough shadow... on and on :/
    I think I messed myself up cutting it out in the first place, I should have fixed what I had.. in frustration I compounded that by cutting the entire thing in half... hopefully tonight will go better.
  • Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will then be powerless to vex your mind.
    -Leonardo da Vinci
  • Chris, I think it's great that you're trying out every approach. Eventually, the method that works best for you will become apparent and you'll continue forward using that method in future projects. It's all practice and making mistakes and adjustments is the best way of learning. And Christopher is right, patience is a virtue!
  • I have actually found the mistakes to be sort of exciting opportunities.. challenges that provide exploration, experimenting, and just general creative problem solving.. I think it's just the 30+ hours I have wrapped up in what seems like it should be a simple project, I just got to where I was sick of looking at it. I love the Da Vinci quote! I knew I had everything sorted out last night.. the eye looked great, then as I built up the surrounding areas, the bottom eyelid just flattened out.. the eye was set too deep :/
    As such I feel the best response is Thomas Edison "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." LOL
  • You'll get it Chris.  This is all a learning process, after all.
  • Christopher got me looking at quotes.. I'm still tediously running through mistake after mistake trying to match that eye.. and I guess my frustration is from getting caught up in the tediousness of it.. I ran across two quotes by Michaelangelo that really reached out to me, so I thought I'd share
    "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all"
    My favorite - "Trifles make for perfection, and perfection is no trifle"
  • taking a break from the eye
  • keeping the clayshaper wet made a dramatic improvement. I ended up shaping the second eyeball with it, rather than rolling it... got it first time. Here is the mask, nearly complete.. just need some shaping on the horns and all over refinement
  • That looks awesome, Chris!
  • thank you Kaoime :D
  • Love the horns Chris! The redo on the eye looks great too! 
  • Looking great Chris! I'm really digging the horns, especially the ones that would wrap around the mouth. Very cool!
  • Great redo one the eye.  Don't you just love it when you get to add something new to the board?