Options

What's On Your Workbench? (Winter 2023-2024)

edited January 3 in General
We love seeing current projects from our community members.  Sharing your work on our forums not only gets your work seen by a large audience but also motivates and inspires other artists.  We may even feature some of your projects on our social media!

You can either share images and videos below as comments on this discussion or post your own discussion with your work.  So don't be shy, show us what you've got!

What's On Your Workbench?

Post edited by Chris Ellerby on

Comments

• Options
    Hey Chris,
    I watched how to make wounds etc and decided to give it a shot.
    This is my result. I think the edges came out great. Not as much detail as I would like. Any suggestions? Seems like you have to exaggerate them a little so they transfer through?
    I was looking at the video on pros aide transfers. Do you know if I can use rubber from smooth on instead of silicone for the mold? 
    If I used Ultra cal instead of Hydrocal for the mold, would I get more of the finer detail?
    I also made some gelatin but I think I made it too thin. Can I just add another gelatin packet instead of starting all over?

Thanks for your time😊
    Guy

• Options
    This  is my work in progress.
    I work at bloodmanor in NYC as a scare actor.
    Last year we where covering my arms in latex and making them look diseased. I figured I would make something for a better look next year.
    ANY suggestions?

Thanks 

Guy

• Options
    This is my result. I think the edges came out great. Not as much detail as I would like. Any suggestions?
    Seems like you have to exaggerate them a little so they transfer through?
    You want the blending edges as thin as possible so they don't stand out in the final makeup.  You can sculpt some fine skin texture all the way to the blending edge to help keep it from getting too smooth, which can help with blending.  I would not exaggerate anything and try to go as realistic as possible so the edges can blend into the skin without standing out.
    I was looking at the video on pros aide transfers. Do you know if I can use rubber from smooth on instead of silicone for the mold? 
    You should be able to use other rubber types for the mold, though I would suggest using the same formulas that were recommended unless you have a compelling reason to change things up.  Whenever you are curious if a new material will work for something I suggest doing a small test to see how things work.
    If I used Ultra cal instead of Hydrocal for the mold, would I get more of the finer detail?
    Hydrocal is more porous to help wick moisture away from castings like latex, which can impact finer details.  Ultracal molds will last longer and better reproduce super fine detail, but dwell times for latex will increase.  I normally just use Ultracal for my work when I need stone.
    I also made some gelatin but I think I made it too thin. Can I just add another gelatin packet instead of starting all over?

You should be able to add more gelatin to thicken it.  You may also be able to melt the gelatin back down in a double boiler and slowly stir it for a while, allowing excess moisture to evaporate. 

/Chris

• Options
    Thanks Chris.
  • Options
    I'm presently working on this little guy. He's about 6.5" to the top of his horns. He'll be holding a big ass chainsaw. Started out as something else, but I got bored with it and just started trying things out to keep it fun. Who knows, there could be some considerable additions/changes by the time he's finished. Seems like he could be part of the Mad Max universe. Made with Monster Clay medium.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any pointers/suggestions, let me know those too!

• Options
    Definitely a cool character.
  • Options
    I am working on several costume builds and upgrading some of my older ones. Having recently intended to retake my Bard the Bowman pictures at a lower personal weight, I am completing the bow, arrows and quiver. Here is the current build: Other than tightening up the feathers, it is done.

• Options
    Currently working on a strange creature, it will probably look like a totem or something like that? 🤔
    Will add some tentacles coming out of the head too, it has a female and a male side, for now I kinda like it 👌🏻

• Options

• Options
    Currently is a new marionette. Just started the head, because for some reason,  I didn't make it first, which I always do. 
    this poor guy though, there's  long way to go before he is finished. 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Here is my recent work iam working on with supersculpey. 
    I will post more early wips someday. 
    I am now working on scaling detailing on the back..... 

Hope u will like it !!!!
  • Options
    This is a great character. Did I miss this in a previous movie or is this an original design? I'd feel a bit silly going on about how this creature could also emote, not just big and scary. Even if a replica, I love it but if an original,.... very very cool.
  • Options
    This is a great character. Did I miss this in a previous movie or is this an original design? I'd feel a bit silly going on about how this creature could also emote, not just big and scary. Even if a replica, I love it but if an original,.... very very cool.
    It's pure creation from myself.
    Thx for the compliment mate !!!

• Options
     Not painted up fully inside, not blended outside or even glued on, but I couldn't resist seeing how it would look when I lifted it off my workbench this morning.  
  • Options
    Working on a robotic arm. I want to create real skin so that the mechanisms are not noticeable and repeat the most realistic movements