Options

LIVE Online Workshop Don Lanning Sculpture Techniques - Texture and Forms

edited October 2023 in General
Hello, I am working on the Sculpture Techniques - Texture & Forms course but Don doesn't mention what size board to use and how he got the clay on the board (even though it's probably melted oil clay). Is there a course I should be taking before this one to get a better explanation on the setup?  Thank you.

*Edit - noticed I posted this in wrong section, feel free to move to correct thread. Thank you.
Post edited by Chris Ellerby on

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Chris, I created a board yesterday 16x16 and taking the course now as we speak, thanks again!

Answers

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Hi Jason,

The clay naturally adheres to the board.  Having the clay a bit softer (heated) when initially applying it will make it easier to spread out and adhere to the surface.  This course is a good starting point. 

You can also look at our Learning Pathway for sculpting basics: https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/pathways/sculpture-basics-online-courses-for-beginning-sculptors-to-learn-basic-sculpting

/Chris
    Post edited by Chris Ellerby on
  • Options
    Moving along in this sculpture, never worked with chavant before not a fan as it gets too hard too quickly so I keep the clay in a convection oven which seems to help. 

• Options
    Looking good!

Keeping the clay warm to make it easier to work with is pretty common.  Many folks use a tinfoil-lined box and a heat lamp.  I use a small toaster oven.

When it is cool it is great for carving in sharp/fine details, but sculpting big forms when it is cool can quickly wear out your hands.  

/Chris
  • Options
    I think I can get better line work with the "power of the X" technique if I had rounder ribbon tools, the ones I have are flat (see picture). I will check Ken's Tools maybe to see if I can find the similar tool Don uses in the video for the technique.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what this tool is called or where to find it, I keep finding just the flat ribbon tools not the music wire round ended loop tools? The one in the picture used by Don Lanning:
  • Options
    Not sure what the name is for that specific wire tool, but I know you can find variants of it here:  https://www.kenstools.com/shop

/Chris
  • Options
    Unfortunately Ken's tools only has about 27 sculpting tools and none of them match the tool Don is using. I went here first thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    Jason, The sculpting tool you are looking for is a Kemper D9 6" Double Wire End Tool. Kemper Tools is in Chino, CA. 
    Regards, Sean Dalton 
  • Options
    @Sean Dalton Thank you, I have purchased!