My recreation of Buck", The male T-Rex modeled by Stan Winston and his team, imagined in 1997

Hello from Paris / France.

Very happy to present to you in all humility a new creation, on the occasion of this "Creature Making Contest" 2023, my amateur "recreation" of the head of "Buck", the male T-Rex from "The Lost World / Jurassic Park 2” as it was imagined in 1997 by the great Stan Winston and his teams! My version is based on the proportions of the giant Animatronic, and not on the digital design of the "CGI", or the various sketches-tests having been used prior to the choice of the final design of Buck's animated robot. My sculpture naturally renders a tribute to the many professional sculptors and brilliant artists who participated and contributed to this magnificent creation.

My sculpture is again at 1/8, it weighs about 1.5 kilos and measures 38 cm long, for 21 cm high. It is essentially made of “Apoxie Sculpt” clay, PLA melted and re-engraved with a mini-engraving iron, and underlying structures using, for example, a magnet, to hold the two parts of the jaw together, and in place. on the animal's neck. I spent a month and a half sculpting it and developing it, with its closed but flexible mouth. Naturally, I now have to sculpt his huge body to implant the head(s). In particular the junction of interchangeable heads (two “Buck” heads in this case to come, with different expressions), and its mini front legs which can also take on several postures.

The head were originally 3D printed based on a digital file modeled by computer graphics artist Cristian Lopez. But I totally re-sculpted and modified them with Apoxie Sculpt, a mini Dremel, a mini plastic burning pyrography iron, a heat gun, and many, many hours of sculpting and redesigning to make the whole more in line with Rexy / Doe, and more “organic” visually!

I used acrylic paint from PEBEO Studio, Liquidex and Vallejo. But also UV and epoxy resin varnishes, and Glose acrylic varnishes. All spread with a brush and without airbrush for the time being. However, I have 3 to date, including a Harder and Steenbeck Airbrush, Evolution, two in one.

There you go, you know almost everything. Enough talk, now for the images of “Buck”!

Franck

Bonjour de Paris / France.

Très heureux de vous présenter en toute humilité une nouvelle création, à l’occasion de ce « Creature Making Contest » 2023, ma « recréation » amateur de la tête de « Buck », le T-Rex mâle de « The Lost World  / Jurassic Park 2» comme il fut imaginée en 1997 par le grand Stan Winston et ses équipes ! Ma version se base sur les proportions de l’Animatronic géant, et non sur le design numérique de la « CGI », ou les différents croquis-essais ayant servis préalablement au choix du design définitif du robot animé de Buck.Ma sculpture rend naturellement un hommage appuyé aux très nombreux sculpteurs professionnels et artistes géniaux qui ont participé et contribué à cette magnifique création.

Ma sculpture est là encore au 1/8, elle pèse environ 1,5 kilo et mesure 38 cm de long, pour 21 cm de haut. Elle est faite essentiellement de glaise « Apoxie Sculpt », de PLA fondu et re-gravé au mini-fer à graver, et de structures sous-jacentes utilisant par exemple un aimant, pour maintenir les deux parties de la mâchoire solidaires, et en place sur la nuque de l’animal. J’ai passé 1 mois et demi à la sculpter et à la mettre au point, avec sa gueule fermée, mais modulable. Il me reste naturellement à sculpter désormais son énorme corps pour y implanter la / les têtes. Notamment la jonction de têtes interchangeables (deux têtes de « Buck » dans le cas présent à venir, avec différentes expressions), et de ses mini-pattes avant qui pourront revêtir elles aussi plusieurs postures.  

La tête de Buck a été initialement imprimée en 3D sur la base d’un fichier numérique modélisé par l’infographiste Cristian Lopez. Mais je l'ai totalement resculpté et modifié avec de l’Apoxie Sculpt, une mini Dremel, un mini fer de pyrogravure à graver le plastique, un décapeur thermique, et de très nombreuses heures de sculpture et de refonte pour rendre l’ensemble plus conforme à Rexy / Doe, et plus « organique » visuellement, selon mes critères !

J’ai utilisé de la peinture acrylique professionnelle de marques PEBEO Studio, Liquidex et Vallejo. Mais aussi des vernis spéciaux en résine UV et époxyde, et des vernis acrylique Glose et semi mat. Le tout étalé au pinceau et sans aérographe pour l’heure. J’en possède pourtant 3 à ce jour, dont un Aérographe Harder et Steenbeck, Evolution, two in one.  

Voilà, vous savez tout ou presque. Assez parlé, maintenant place aux images de « Buck » !  

Franck

Post edited by Franck DeCloquement on