Universal Joint Question

The Universal Joint listed in McMaster Carr is over $100, are there any cheaper alternatives with the same size specs? 

Comments

• Hi Timothy,

McMaster Carr is awesome, but you'll often run into very expensive parts that are intended for specific applications that drive the price way up, like being rated for heavy loads, industrial applications, made of certain materials, etc.   That can make looking for specific sizes of things a challenge, as some sizes they offer are only for those more demanding use cases.  Sometimes you can step down a size (if it works for your application) and save a lot.

I would hit up amazon and google to try and find the size you want at a lower price.

/Chris
  • I'm finding that the parts are either way too expensive or just hard to find. Plus, most everything is coming up metric. Most of the reviews of the cheap joints on Amazon complain about slop in the joints. So, I'm using this course as a guideline and trying to source equivalent parts in metric.
  • Finding good universal joints that are not super expensive (like mcmaster carr) or the right size can be a real challenge.  If I can't find the right version on mcmaster carr I usually scour google/amazon.

I also find working in metric is ideal when possible.

/Chris
  • I've had a thought running around the back of my head, but have not had the need to test it: Could a universal joint from a rachet set be modified via welding, lathe turning, grinding, tapping, etc? I'm not an expert at welding, but it looks like chrome vanduim steel can be welding with a few specific requirements...
  • I imagine that would be possible.  And if you have the tools to turn/machine metal you might also be able to make universal joints from scratch.  

/Chris