WED Clay, USG. No 1, and Molding Issues

edited December 2022 in Sculpture
Hello,

I'm new to this area of things, but I've been delving into mask making and I'm running into issues where I didn't think I would. The sculpting process has been going very smoothly, and I've really enjoyed working with WED clay. The mold making process, however, continues to end in disaster. This will be my third ruined sculpture. It's not the best, but it's better than where I thought I'd be for my third attempt at sculpting something.

I've been using USG No. 1 Pottery Plaster. The first attempt went wrong because I had never worked with the plaster before, and I underestimated the cure time. Today, however, my plaster mix went great and gave me the expected consistency and time to work with. However, I absolutely cannot remove the mold & sculpture from the armature, and the armature is now in shambles due to an hour of trying to separate the two.

What am I missing, or what should I be doing that I'm not doing? I've tried various forums and videos to try and answer this specific problem, and I keep getting unrelated material - so, I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance! 

Victor

Comments

• Hi Victor,

Sorry to hear about your mold making troubles.  We've all been there! 

Soaking everything in warm water for a few hours may help soften the clay, helping you remove the mold or the armature.   It can also help to use small wooden tools to carefully dig the clay out where ever you can around the edges, and spray more water in where ever you can.

/Chris
  • The soaking helped finally release the mold, after a day of fighting with it. Thanks for the tip! I realize that the error was on my part - I didn't use any form of mold release agent. I need to find one that'd work with my materials so hopefully this doesn't happen next time.
  • Glad you were able to get it to release!  

/Chris