Filming and microphone placement in courses

When artists are being filmed plying their craft and explaining techniques, it would be great if all the offscreen participants asking questions would speak into a mic.  Often you see the artist stop to listen, the viewer hears mumbling in the background and then the artist just answers the question.  Being able to hear the question is sometimes imperative in understanding the answer.  Matt Winston always seems to speak into a mic and those videos are great, especially when Matt seems to know a lot about the processes and brings up interesting observations, questions or even additional information that enhances the understanding of a technique that an artist hasn't necessarily explained adequately or has inadvertently skipped over.

Comments

• Hi Darth,

Thanks for the feedback! 

We are always working to improve our courses. 

I'll share your feedback with the team.

/Chris
  • Hi Darth,

I discussed this with the team and had a quick question for you.   Was there a specific course where you noticed this issue?  We know of some cases where a hardware issue caused the problem, but we want to make sure we are aware of all instances.    On new courses we make sure to have a dedicated mic for questions.

Thanks again!

/Chris
  • The two I remember were both Ted Haines' videos.  I believe they were the ones where he was making the Sasquatch muscle suit and the Kaiju.  I like Haines and he does great work, so I don't mean to discredit him.
  • Great, thanks for letting us know!  Agreed, Ted is an awesome instructor.  Any audio issues at that time were likely technical hurdles that have been addressed in our newer courses.  We're always trying to improve, so thanks again for the feedback!

/Chris