Magic Wheelchair

How is the Immortal Masks mould core made?

I've watched the 3 part series on how the guys from Immortal Masks make the 2-part negative mould and cast a silicone mask with it, but I'm wondering how the core was made. It seems like they may have made it with a similar method of using resin and fiberglass, etc, created in two halves and then joined together.

I'm planning on taking a head lifecast using a platinum curing silicone to capture the detail with a plaster jacket to reinforce. Could it be as simple as splitting the lifecast mould into two halves and doing as Mike does in the course, but building up the layers inside the lifecast mould to create a core instead? Then how should the two halves be joined together? Should I be careful using certain materials with eachother like the silicone, resin and fiberglass? Any other tips?

/Leigh

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Hi Leigh,

Immortal's core has a lot of optimization and design work that went into its creation so it can fit a variety of head shapes and sizes, but your idea of starting with a lifecast is right on track.  My suggestion would be to use the mold from your lifecast to pour up a clay head.   You can then simplify forms like the ears and adjust other forms (like the mouth) to get the type of fit you are after on your final mask.  For example, you can shave down the sculpt to create a slightly smaller core which will result in a snugger more form-fitting mask.  Then you can mold the core sculpt and cast it up in fiberglass for your final core.

/Chris

Answers

• The creation of the core mold sounds simple enough but how and at what point in the process are the anchor points (bolt insertions for stabilization) made?  A video on the entire procedure would be great.  I would prefer to use the eye sections as additional anchor points, if possible.
  • Chris...how far down might one shave the sculpt of the lifecast to get that snug fit with adequate lip and eye cupping?

• Darth,

I believe the points where you choose to place bolts can be drilled once the mold is finished. 

James,

That's a bit challenging to answer since I believe the snugness of the fit may also depend on how thick the silicone is and what silicone durometer is used (as some will stretch more) for the final mask.

/Chris