How to Make an Eye Mechanism - Design, 3D Printing & Assembly

I recently finished this course about a month back. I found it incredibly helpful. I've yet to print my mech, but plan to soon. Obviously, it is dated, but nonetheless very useful. I wasn't very versed in 3d design, with the exception of Tinkercad and basic Sketchup. I wanted to take this course to learn how to work in Fusion 360. It definitely helped me get moving in the right direction and It's now an essential part of my workflow. Thanks, SWSCA and Dave!! 

Yesterday I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mmlJdVcJkg
Super cool video. Everyone should check it out...

With how much 3d tech has grown since this course and seeing how heavily the industry now relies on it, will there be (could there be) more SWSCA courses covering 3d printing and the different ways it can benefit the creature making process? I feel like there is a ton of potential content that a lot of this community could enjoy and benefit from.

In the above video featuring the workflow over at Legacy, they turn to 3d scanning, modeling, and printing all throughout their process to make models, molds, maquettes, prototypes, finished parts, accessories, mechanisms, etc...  I know that a quick youtube or google search and a little bit of perusing can answer most 3d print enthusiasts' questions, but personally, I would love to learn at the feet (screens) of the masters...but I digress.

Great course as always! Thanks, SWSCA Team!!

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Hi Justin,

Glad you liked the eye mech lesson.  I got a lot out of that one too.  As you mentioned things in that space (from software to printing and assembling techniques) have all continued to evolve, so I'm sure we'll be revisiting the world of 3D printing in the future.  Especially now that more and more artists are able to have their own 3D printers at home since quality 3D printers have dropped in price significantly.  And Fusion 360 has also become a great and widely used application.

When I built the eye mech from this lesson I took a more modular approach to its design since I had access to a newer method of connecting 3D printed components using threaded brass heat-sink inserts.  You just design small holes in your part then sink the insets in using a soldering iron with a special tip.  This lets you easily bolt components together (Rather than gluing or solvent welding them) so you have strong connections that can easily be taken apart for maintenance, upgrading components, etc.

Here's how mine turned out:
    I'll check in with the team and see what our roadmap looks like for 3D printing courses.  So much fun stuff out there to learn in so many disciplines.

/Chris