Dang that Monster Clay!

So....after a lot of research and trial and error, I've finally isolated the problem. My Monster Clay (soft hardness, brown, Lot #122118) apparently has some sulfur impurity. Cutting a fresh chunk out of it, my platinum based silicone products simply refuse to cure on it. Rebound 25 is still gooey after days on it. So....I'm giving all my monster clay to a friend's kids.

What's REALLY frustrating is that I have to consider all my tools to have been contaminated, too. While I'm confident I can clean my metal tools, I think all the other stuff, like wooden carving tools, etc., are all suspect. 

Drat!

Nothing really to report...just venting!

Comments

• Hi Barry,

That's really strange.  I've never run into Monster Clay with contamination issues.   Have you tried mixing up a small batch of the silicone on its own to see that it cures properly just in the mixing cup?

Super frustrating when things don't cure.  Hope everything works out!

/Chris
  • Hey Chris,

Yeah, I ran a set of tests. I applied the silicone to the monster clay, some sculpy, a few household objects, etc. The silicone cured properly in all cases (including the leftover stuff in my mixing cup, but the stuff on the monster clay never cured...it just stays sticky and gooey. 

I gave the clay to a friend's kids, so they'll have fun. I've bought some new monster clay and no issues since then.

Cheers

Barry
  • Hi Barry,

That's wild.  At least you were able to narrow down the issue with testing.  Glad the new Monster Clay is working for you!

/Chris