Options

Prop Coins - Silver Shekels

edited November 2021 in Props
Hello, I’m considering working on some historical props.  I’m looking to make some coins like what would have been available in 1st century Palestine.  I’m considering sculpting the coins on small slabs of sculpey medium, and baking.  After sculpting both sides I’ll be making a mold in silicone, casting and painting.  Is this a good way to do it, or could I get some suggestions?  I’ll need 30 silver shekels.  Thanks!
Post edited by John Terebetsky on

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jon,

Molding and casting your cons is a good approach.  You'll most likely want a 2 part silicone mold with the parting line along the center of the outside edge of the coin.

One technique you can try is cold casting with metallic powders.  For this, you dust the inside of your silicone mold with a metal powder that matches the piece you are trying to replicate, shake out any excess powder, then pour in a dark-pigmented resin.  The result is a thin layer of metal on the surface of your casting that can be buffed to a nice shine.  Many mold-making/casting companies sell metal powders for cold casting.

/Chris
  • Options
    Okay, thanks!