[Question of the Month] What's an unusual or unique tool in your collection?

edited December 2021 in General
In the world of special effects, we often borrow a lot of tools and techniques from other industries.  Sometimes we even have to make our own tools to get the job done.  This can lead to an interesting collection of random tools, each with its own story.

What is one unusual or unique tool that you have in your collection, and how do you use it as part of your creative process?

/Chris
Post edited by Chris Ellerby on

Comments

• edited September 2021
    I'll go first!

One of the more unusual tools in my shop is a pair of laparoscopic grasping forceps. These are normally used during minimally invasive surgery, but I can't tell you how many times they've come in handy in the shop or around the home.

In the shop, they are great for picking up a screw, bolt, or small component that I've dropped down inside something.  Often an extendable magnet will work great, but sometimes what you need to pick up is non-ferrous.

And as far as using them around the house... I can't tell you how many times I've dropped something in the garbage disposal and needed to go in after it.

The moral of the story: I drop a lot of things, and these are darn handy when it comes to picking them back up!

/Chris

• My most unusual tool is Solitaire. If I'm working on something and I hit a creative wall or what I'm working on isn't looking like I want it to, I can play a few games of solitaire and it helps to reset my mind and take some of the pressure off so I can go back and look at what I'm working on with fresh eyes

• I pick up old electric meat carvers like this at goodwill anytime I see them.  They are fantastic at cutting a wide variety of foam!
  • Hi everybody! Now and then we have to make a tool for special purposes. This green thing is made of plastic package bond and is just perfekt when we have to put elastic band through difficult, narrow channels in fabric and don’t want to waste a half day on that job. Really good quick-fix!