Options

Chavant clay sculpture : how to protect my project during transportation

Hi Community!

I have a real tricky situation here:
I am about to start 2 head-size projects in Chavant clay NSP : 
One with Chavant clay NSP HARD
One with Chavant clay NSP SOFT
Here is the thing: Those projects will need to be moved from one place to another during the process before I get to make the final mold. 
How could I save those on-going projects and avoid having to re-do details that might get damaged during transportation?
I was thinking to make a temporary negative mold out of latex. By brushing several layers of latex on the clay sculptures, plus a mother mold (with plaster bands) covering the latex layers once cured. 
Any better suggestions?
Other questions:
1) Is the NSP Chavant clay might react badly to the latex? (I have on-hand «Clear Latex 60%: liquid latex for building and repair of latex pieces/ Composition: Natural rubber dispersion. Ammonia, 1% Aqueous solution. /Brand : EpicArmoury)
2) Should I use a scellant (or other releasing product) to cover the clay sculptures before I brush the latex on? If so, which kind of releasing agent suits to both NSP clay and latex? Can I still work on the clay after I coated with scellant/releasing agent? Will it affect the clay texture/ chemistry?
3) Which releasing agent using generally with Chavant NSP clay? Does it suits to any kind of molding material, like plaster, silicone? 

Thanks for answering!

Geneviève

Answers

• Options
    Since you plan on moving the sculpture, the first thing I would do is make sure you have a rock-solid armature that bolts into a large flat base so it can be transported without toppling, flexing, etc.  You could also have the armature protrude out of the top of the head, allowing you to build a box around the sculpture and have the armature bolted to the base and top of the box so it can't move around inside the volume.    I'd use something thick and rigid like 1" square steel tubing or pipe.  You can get lengths of steel pipe that are threaded at both ends, which would allow you to screw on some flanges that could be used to bolt it down to the base/lid.

Your idea of making a backup mold is a good one.  Though the mold-making process could possibly damage some details,  but I'd say having to resculpt a few details is worth the peace of mind of having a backup mold for insurance. 

I don't think you would need any kind of coating or release on the sculpture (especially since they could get in the way of further sculpting) but you could use something like baby powder on the surface, which might work as a release for you.

As far as the latex you have, I'm not familiar with that formula.  What is the 60%?  Ideally, you'd want a nice slip-cast latex.  But pretty much any latex should work well enough as a backup.  Or even a silicone if you have the budget for it.

/Chris
  • Options
    Thank you Chris for this most extended answer! 
    All the best
    /Geneviève