Options

How do I network in my area?

Hi everyone, I have a question about networking. I’m trying to build my portfolio as best I can and get myself out there, but I really don’t know where to start as far as reaching out to the right people. I live in Massachusetts and would like to eventually move out of state, possibly LA, but for the meantime I’d like to try and connect with people in my area. I know there are a lot of movies and shows produced in Boston, but I’m not sure how to get gigs like that. How do I find the right people to connect with and show my work? I also think it would be really cool if SWS had a networking type section where people can connect with one another in their area. Thank you!

Answers

• Options
    Hi Ashley,

If you are looking to network with a focus on special effects makeup a good starting point may be your local makeup stores, especially if they carry any effects supplies.  They may have a bulletin board with local events or other useful information posted, like local productions that are looking for resources.  It may also be possible for you to post something there, or talk with the folks that work there, since they may know of other local opportunities.   Also see if any makeup conventions or events come through your area, as those are great networking opportunities. 

You can also reach out to local theater groups, film schools, production companies, or haunted attractions (we are coming up on that season), to see if they are looking for artists.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

/Chris