Options

Skin Illustrator & Silicone Question

I recently watched the out of kit makeup effects video with Joel Harlow.  He uses skin illustrators throughout.  Even over what seems to be a silicone nose appliance on Matt Winston.  Not much is mentioned about how well these two things work together.
I'm looking at creating a nose and cheek appliance for a character makeup for a single days shoot.  Will skin illustrator hold up during an eight to twelve hour day and does it need some sort of sealer if not?

Comments

• Options
    Skin Illustrator is designed to work on silicone, however, how well it works depends so on a lot of factors.  Things like how thick you build up the color (thicker color layers are more prone to crack and flake), how much movement the area will experience, what additives are in the silicone, etc.

I've had trouble getting Skin Illustrator to stick well to silicones like 3rd Degree in the past, and for those instances, I just built up a solid layer of pros aide on the silicone and feathered it off into the skin.  That gave the makeup something to bond to.  If stunts or heavy physical activity were involved I would add on a sealing layer of pros aide.    But that's just my personal approach, I'm sure others have better suggestions!

Anyone else have tips for working with Skin Illustrator on Silicone?

/Chris
  • Options
    So, a few more details.  I had planned to use dragon skin or a similar smoothon product tinted with silcpig.  The nose and cheek pieces will simply be for a character piece.  Plenty of talking but no action.  I noticed ppi sells something called Green Marble Sealer.  Would that help?
  • Options
    One option would be to encapsulate your appliance in cap plastic.  You can learn a bit more about that process in this lesson:  https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/character-makeup-how-to-run-silicone-appliances

I've never used Green Marble Sealer on silicone, and the product documentation does not seem to mention anything about silicone.  Anyone here use Green Mable with silicone?

/Chris