Options

Sources Needed: Scenic Decoration

edited May 2021 in General
I'd like to convert my 20x30 garage into a graveyard set.  I'm hoping to extend the back quarter of the set with forced perspective.  Any suggestions on how I can achieve this?
I have some basic ideas as far as scale goes but I'm not a hundred percent sure on everything.  I was thinking I could build the set up ever so slightly in the last ten feet as if it's going up hill.  Then drop the scale every few feet until the farthest area is about half scale.  Am I headed in the right direction here or am I totally off?
Post edited by Thomas Thompson on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I don't mean to speak out of place because I haven't actually done it.....but I feel like I have a decent grasp of how it works. Please take what I say with a grain of salt.  Hopefully someone more experienced can give you a better answer.  

A lot depends on what you are trying to do.  If it is being filmed, a lot would depend on if its a fixed or moving shot. Lets say you have the camera fixed in one shot and it works perfectly from that one angle.  When you start moving the shot it will likely fall apart because the objects in the background ARE close, so they will move too much relative to the foreground.  If you know exactly what moves your camera is making you can compensate somewhat by building the model by distorting it around a curve in relation to the camera. In LOTR they did the hobbit effects by having set pieces that moved with the camera.  There are some videos on youtube. I know this is pretty vague but hopefully this helps put you on the right track.  Maybe building at an angle will be good enough, jusy try it! Its going to be cool no matter what. Good luck.  

• Options
    I appreciate your reply.  To help with some of the scenarios you mentioned I would be filming the set.  Mostly with a single character in a stationary position.  There would possibly be a slow dolly forward on the character but not much else.  Virtually everything would be shot front to back.
  • Options
    Hi Thomas,

You are on the right track.

What I would do is take a photo of your set from a fixed perspective, then (either on a computer or a printed version) draw perspective lines that match your foreground objects to a couple of vanishing points in the distance.  Using that you can sketch up your forced perspective design in 2D first, then you can mock up the 3d perspective in person.  Mocking it up with something simple like cardboard cutouts can help you get a sense of scale and distance. 

/Chris
  • Options
    Thank you all for the answers so far.
    What are some sources for scenic decorations like moss, grass, and so on?  Other than raiding hobby lobby I'm not finding much.  I guess a lot could be found in nature itself.
  • Options
    Hobby and crafting stores are a good source for some materials.  A great deal can also be done with rigid insulation foam (the kind you find at a hardware store, often pink or blue) as it can be carved into forms/buildings/etc.

For specific detail elements or materials you can also search online.

/Chris