Where to buy hair punching needle holder/ pin vice

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a decent needle holder/ pin vice? I bought one on EBay by a company called Horotec but it’s very small. My makeup school doesn’t sell them, nor do our fx shops in Toronto. I have the John James beading needles that Denise uses and I want to make the same punching needle she uses but I need the holder and can only seem to find the ones Brick in the Yard sells along with those “MakeupFX” crown needles. Etsy sells some for doll hair punching. I don’t understand the sizes and I don’t want to buy the wrong thing again. Thanks!

Comments

• When it comes to tools like a pin vice (especially for things like hair punching) how they fit your hand and your work style is very important.  Because of that what works for someone else may not work the same for you.  That said, there are a lot of good options out there on Amazon.

Some people like a larger handle that is easy to hold without straining your fingers, while others may like a thinner handle for more precise control.

Personally, I usually go with a pin vice similar to this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-166A-Insulated-Octagonal-0-0-040/dp/B002JGN57S/

But keep in mind you may need to try a few over time to see what works best for you.

The hair punching crown needle set from Brick in the Yard should be a good starting point.  BITY is a good resource.

/Chris
  • Awesome, thanks so much Chris! I am shocked at how tough it’s been to get started on trying to learn this skill. I will check out the link. Cheers!
  • I'm right there with you Rachel.  Hair punching is such a precision skill and requires a lot of focus and planning.  Just keep at it!

/Chris
  • Hi Rachel, not sure if you are still looking, but for the sake of anyone else.  In the Toronto Area there are two hobbyist tool places to check,  Busy Bee, and Lee Valley Tools.  They both carry pin vices.
    /Brian