Epoxy Putty in the Oven?

I was watching the stop motion puppet video and I love it! I have a question about the epoxy putty. They say in the video that you can put super sculpy on top of the epoxy putty to make it adhere to the armature better and for it to be more sturdy. I have used super sculpy a lot before but I haven’t used the epoxy under it. This may be a dumb question but can the epoxy putty go in the oven? I know the sculpy has to bake, but I wasn't sure how it would work if the epoxy is underneath. Also, if I were to bake the epoxy/sculpy, can it go in my regular oven? I wasn't sure about if it really toxic or not, or if eating it would release bad chemicals or something? Thank you so much! 

-Melody 

Comments

• Hi Melody,

You can bake your epoxy putty armature along with the super sculpey, that's a common use case.  Sculpey's official stance is baking their clay in the same oven you use for food is ok.  As far as the food safety for baking the epoxy in your kitchen oven, that will be based on which epoxy material you end up using.  You would have to check their material safety data sheet.

/Chris
  • Thank you so much!! I appreciate all the help!!