Options

Foam Ovens, What can be used?

So It's almost 3AM, which means I have reached the time of foam latex research while fantasising that I am a single mother on Ellen and all I've come across is not quite in-depth build tutorials on foam latex ovens and rejection emails from Ellen's producers. 

I've never made pieces out of foam latex, only bought some. However, I am very interested in making the foam pieces of my own but here's the catch... A sister needs one of those ovens and I am not very uniqua when it comes to building (I strongly doubt I can create one successfully) I would genuinely would like to know what can I purchase to use as an entire foam latex oven first before going into the further....

Comments

• Options
    Hi bcrow,

One of the big challenges with baking foam is the molds are often too big to fit into off-the-shelf made ovens/toasters/etc. so folks usually have to build their own.  And for health and safety reasons it's not a good idea to bake it in the same oven you cook food in.

Stop motion magazine has a back issue with pretty good instructions on building a foam latex oven that a lot of folks have used:   https://stopmotionmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SMM-December-2009-Issue3.pdf . (page 61)

If you search youtube there are a good number of tutorial videos showing different builds.  Many are based off similar designs.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KWz9F0u3E

If you don't have the ability to build one yourself, you may be able to hire someone to build one for you.  Otherwise you can find "convection ovens" at various sizes for purchase, but they can get quite expensive.  Ebay sometimes has some listed, including used ones.  You can search for "foam latex oven" right now and find one for $500.

It is also very important to keep safety in mind, as you are dealing with heat and flammable building materials.  Always have a fire extinguisher near by, and don't leave the oven unattended.

/Chris