Options

Embossing numbers and letters in silicone?

I'm looking for any ideas on how to emboss numbers/letters into silicone. I'm interested in labeling silicone molds, as well as labeling final silicone pieces. I'd like it to look neat and aligned. 
I saw Aaron Globerman mention to use an old style embossing label maker with the tape flipped backwards. I'm going to try that, but what other options are out there? 
Thank you - Eric 

Comments

• Options
    Hi Eric,

The embossing label might do the trick.  Another option would be to 3D print a small plaque with raised or recessed lettering to incorporate into the mold making process.  I've seen people make stamps to press into their clay sculptures prior to molding, which works great.  You could also laser cut a stamp/plaque.

Another option, which would be a bit harder to read, would be to use a vinyl plotter to cut out lettering that you could use while making the mold.  Even though vinyl is not that thick it does show up in molding, and is often used to create small surface details in castings like panels or lettering.

/Chris

• Options
    Good ideas, thank you Chris. More reasons to buy a laser and 3d Printer! 
  • Options
    Hi there I found these comments really interesting as I came across this when searching for help regarding creating an embossed effect .   I’m pretty new to moulding and casting and would love some insight / help on creating an embossed look on my castings.  Like a stamped look monogram king of thing .  My idea has been to use vinyl plotter maybe 2 sheets vinyl to make It thicker . Cut lettering in reverse and stick into my silicone mould Surface in the places I need it.  I will then brush on layers of paintable resin building layers . Close mould and pour the rest . De mould and hope that the vinyl lettering worked its magic in the mould and stamped the effect on the surface of the casting .  My worry I suppose is that the vinyl will fall off or peel off in the mould but hoping that painting the resin on rather than pouring will help it adhere and stay put on the surface of the silicone mould .   ANY HELP OR IDEAS WELCOME 🙏🏻 
  • Options
    HI Dan,

I have the same concern about the vinyl sticking to the silicone, as well as resin seeping under the edges of the vinyl.  If it did work the vinyl would then be embedded in your resin, which may be the goal, but it would be sticky side out.  It may be possible to peel it off the resin, but that could be a challenge.

If possible I would make the text part of the mold during the molding process.  But if you need it to change every casting, that adds a different challenge.

/Chris