Options

Silicone Masks & Prosthetic

Hello, 

I've done a few searches in the forum and didn't see what I was looking for, hopefully someone can give me some advice :D 

I'm thinking of running some silicone masks this year.  I started doing encapsulated silicone prosthetic pieces last year (for makeup) and am stoked to try masks.   My question is, what is the best way to attach things like horns.  I'd like to do a demon mask, and figure I should run the horns in something more solid than silicone, but I don't know how to attach them to the mask after.   Ideally, I'd like them to be very durable and not run the rusk of coming off.  I also have a client that I am building a prosthetic for that requires pointy teeth (it's a Pennywise look), and I am unsure of the best way to run and attach teeth for this as well.   

ANY advice, tips & tricks welcome. Thanks! :) 

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rachelle,

To attach stuff to silicone I usually use more silicone as an adhesive.  When you mix up your silicone for the mask, mix up a bit extra of the pigmented B side and save it for patching/gluing on extras when the mask is done.

Gluing extras onto a mask requires a mechanical bond, where the silicone you are using as an adhesive physically grabs onto the part, so having small holes or features on the under side of the part that the silicone can seep into or fill will help.

You can also embed plates to bolt/screw onto, magnets, or other connection methods.  Doing some smaller scale tests can help you work the process out.

/Chris