mixing different grades of monster clay

Hi all,

This is my first post here, I am starting in all this great world of sculpting, and I did bought 5lb of monster clay soft, but it was softer than I thought, basically I cant use it to create any small character for obvious reasons that weren't that obvious for me before, so I was wondering, what if I also buy another 5lb of monster clay but this time would be hard grade, can I melt them and mix them so they would become "medium" grade?

Have anyone tried something like that? 

Thanks very much.

Hernan.

Comments

• Hi Hernan,

You should be able to mix different grades of monster clay.  I've not tried it yet, as I'm currently working with their Medium grade (the old Premium).  Give it a shot and let us know how it works out!

/Chris
  • I would just call and ask them before I ordered..  I have found them to be very good and willing to answer questions when I call in an order.  But I think it should work find I am not sure how close to the medium you will end up tho.

• Yes, mixing the "Soft" & "Hard" versions of Monster Clay will indeed approximate the "Medium" version. To ease the process of melting them down, to blend them, use a "Slow-Cooker/Crock-Pot". (Being that the big holidays are over, (for now), you should be able to get one very inexpensively. (After using it to melt clay, avoid using for food ever again. So, DON'T use the one that belongs to your girlfriend, wife, or mother... At least, if you expect to "keep living", afterwards!!!! Lol.) 

Next time, before ordering any clay, try requesting a small sample to try out. This will help avoid getting the wrong product, and frustration. Arnold is pretty cool. He should be able to help you out.