Options

Getting a latex positive (hand) from a silicone negative mold.

edited June 2017 in Fabrication
Hi there,
We just cast a hand using Body Double Silk, but have now realized that we need the positive/prop to be made of latex. Since we have a negative silicone mold, what is the easiest way for us to get to a plaster (hydrocal) negative mold to begin skinning with latex?
We were planning on doing a hydrocal positive, and then making a hydrocal neg from that positive, but that's not something I've done before, and I don't know if there's a better way, or anything I need to know to avoid disasters. Does this make sense?

The final piece is a detailed hand cast from an actor, which is larger than my hand.. I'll be wearing it, giving it a look of loose skin, which the actor will be picking at on the palm, until a prosthetic claw pokes through the skin. This is why we decided latex would work better than silicone for the final, as it stretches and tears in a more skin-like way..

Any ideas/thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Post edited by Seth Smith on

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks a lot for the advice. Might look into the urethane foam.
    I haven't tried the latex in the silicone, because I assumed it wouldn't stick, and would bead like you said.. We just cast a stone positive from the mold, so once I take that out, I might try to do a latex one straight from the silicone just in case.. I have a release spray for the silicone that is meant for silicone in silicone, but since you allow the spray to dry, I wonder if it might create enough of a barrier to allow the latex to skin.. I might try that too.

Thanks again! Super valuable input!
    Paul
  • Options
    Sorry for joining this post so late, but if you do run the latex in the silicone mold, will you still be able to run silicone through it later? Can I just clean the mold again with naptha before running silicone?