Now What?

I would like to start by saying THANK YOU to the SWSCA. I haven't been involved in art for over 20 years now, and I've never sculpted anything. I purchased a subscription to the site (I may have some spending compulsion issues), and I was like an addict. I watched these incredibly talented people make the most beautiful creations. Jordu Schell, Don Lanning, Alec Gillis... All of your artists are amazing and incredible instructors. I've watched nearly every video in the collection (little side of OCD). I was absolutely inspired. Then I saw Morgan Loebel's work on the FB Top 10, and it moved me. His work is brilliant!

Thank you so much for introducing me to this world! I still have some texturing and refining to do before I move to the next step, but I'll be there soon. What do I do now? This is done in Chavant NSP medium. The teeth are Sculpy original. This will be the cover for my "Book of Souls" that I would like to cast in resin (or whatever will work). I will fabricate the rest of the book and mount it with lights on a black pillow. However, I'm not sure which way to go. First thoughts were to use a silicone to create a mold. Will the teeth wreck it? Is there a better solution, or did I sculpt in a fashion not conducive to molding and casting?

Thank you again to the school and community of artists. You have a student for life, and I look forward to sharing and learning for years to come. Any tips on improving my techniques are absolutely welcome.

Regards,

Chris Hunt

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Glad you like all the lessons.  You're not the only one addicted to watching them all!  I often watch many of them a second time just to make sure I did not miss anything.

Your sculpt looks really great.  I can't wait to see how the final cast piece turns out.

For your sculpt I would spray a couple light coats of Krylon crystal clear on it and make a silicone mold.   The flexible silicone will allow you to have some minor undercuts (like with the teeth).  If you are concerned, you can fill in behind the teeth a bit with some clay to reduce the undercuts.

The undercuts mean the sculpt will get a bit more damage when removing the mold, and your rigid resin castings will wear on the mold a bit more as they are demolded.  But if all you want is a couple castings (not a big production run) you should be fine.

In the following image I have circled some areas in red that you'll want to fill in from behind to prevent the silicone from wrapping around or locking on some of the teeth.  Hard to tell from this photo if you have filled in behind them so the silicone can not go through the holes and under the teeth, but just in cases I figured I would mention it.

You can find some good mold making tips here:  https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/mini-lessons-how-to-make-a-mold

Best of luck!

/Chris
  • Thank you Chris! I'll make sure to post the finished product.
  • Cool!