Learning past 40, looking for new friends on new paths.

I just signed up for Courses, am staring with the basics of design. Over 30 years ago I was an 8 year old kid addicted to Horror, and Fangoria, I dreamt  of working on creatures and movies. Spent my life on different paths but always kept my love of art and horror.
I am now ready to explore my capabilities and learn the craft of creature design and horror effects. I feel my 40 years of consuming horror, pop culture, and art can pay off  finding me a place in the industry. 
Im looking for friends and contacts to share the journey with, looking for adults like my self new to the industry, comment here if you are on a new path, what are you starting with? what brought you to this path and how long have you wanted to be here?

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Hi Shane. I'm much in the same boat as you. Being nearly 39 I feel like I'm playing catch up after years of being an onlooker and admirer of practical fx just in the last year been learning how to sculpt, mold, cast and paint.
    It's incredibly rewarding/ frustrating and so thankful for the stan winston school as a valuable resource to turn to when learning new disciplines.
    I've got a good handle on making latex masks so about try try my first silicone creature project. 
    Best of luck on your journey and look forward to seeing your work
    https://www.instagram.com/porkpiesamurai/
  • I'm right there with you!  Grew up addicted to Fangoria, dreaming of being able to afford all the cool masks and props in the back sections.  The learning never stops, and it's always a good time to learn something new!

/Chris
  • Hello there! I’m 38 yrs old and just renewed my subscription. I started in early 2020 with mostly Fx makeup and props. I’m currently working on making some puppets for my daughter. I grew up loving horror and special Fx. I think you’re never too old to start chasing your dreams. Good luck with your journey and I look forward to connecting with some of you! 
    IG: davemason_art
  • I'm 57 and starting my journey!! You're never too old! 
  • great to see others in my situation! great to meet you all,  tell me.. how many of you are married? what did your wives think of your decision?
  • another here in a very similar position and about to make my first moves with the course . Spent 2 years glassblowing trying to achieve the most realistic glass eyes for creatures in a denial that there was a better medium for the task . Well I’ve accepted and I’m here .
  • Hi! Nice to meet all of you. I've been dabbling in a lot of different things- human resource, marketing, events, content writing, costume jewelry, crafts and lastly SFX. I've decided this upcoming year that I'm going to dedicate myself to fully venture in special effects. Opportunities are a bit limited where I am located (as well as getting a hold of professional supplies takes some time), but I'm not going to let it hinder me. Feel free to connect with me on IG: sfxhorrorsolutions