Imhotep - The Mummy (1999)

For my second entry, I wanted to try something I've never done before, which was a latex zombie/creature suit, and I knew exactly what I wanted to try to make.

The Mummy (1999) is one of my favorite movies, and Imhotep is one of my favorite creatures to come from ILM, and to this day I'm still impressed with the animation on some of those mummy sequences.

For my mummy, I wanted to aim for the jerky, desiccated look of the mummy as we first see him, albeit with some compromises made for comfort, movement and budget.
To start out I took a lycra suit and painted layers of latex on to first build up a skin. Texture was added with each layer, making sheets of torn up latex for that rotting skin effect. The body was then painted with a mixture of latex paints and airbrush inks.

The face and head were sculpted by me, originally intended as a Red Skull mask, but I realized that the rather generic features managed to lend themself to a number of different characters, so I thought it would make a perfect mummy. 

For the hands and feet, I took a pair of latex skeleton gloves and painted them in the same manner as the bodysuit and mask, and the feet were made by gluing soft vinyl skeleton foot covers to a pair of faux leather boots, and then painted to match the rest of the suit.

Distressed mummy bandages were salvaged from a Halloween costume and painted for a weathered and sandy look, completing the character.

For my first time attempting something of this scale, I'm tremendously happy with how it came out, and can't wait to try something like this again soon.

More of my work can be found on my Instagram at instagram.com/sharp.shot.efx